Your Health

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Your Health

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 pm
Bluenose wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:51 am
stevenjb wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am Sugar is Evil
Can you be a bit more specific? Added/free sugar? Or are most fruits evil?
Check out Robert Lustig e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Chance-Beati ... 0142180432

I recently watched Dr Lustig's lecture given at San Francosco public library. Spot on. Great add.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Mark Hyman and Robert Lustig

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Health and well-being is huge business, which is absolutely flooded with contradicting advice, it's impossible to make any sense of it. For every video that tells you it's all about exercise, there's another one that tells you it's all about diet. For every video that tells you to watch your carbs, there's another one that tells you carbs are not a problem. For every video that tells you sugar is the problem, there's another that tells you it's red meat.

Almost no-one who claims to be some sort of health guru shows you their qualifications, and even if they did, even the 'experts' disagree with a lot of the information surrounding health and well-being.

You're better off following the simple rules of;

Everything in moderation.
Don't put in more calories that come out.
At least 30 minutes of activity which makes you sweat and out of breath every day.
Get enough sleep.

It seems to work for me.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

This. All these "experts" are just trying to make a quick buck. Just saw an add on FB claiming one could lose 40(!) pounds in a week. The supposedly miracle cures/diets are for the gullible and lazy. There are no shortcuts to a healthy diet or weight control.

I do try and avoid sugar as it is just way too many empty calories, but will eat something once or twice a week. I eat meat, but keep portions small. My goal is 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% proteins a day. Within those limits, anything goes.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I love this topic.

What worked for me ... and I was in bad shape, 110kg, inactive, diabetes, high BP, daily weed/beer head, crushing pints of Hagen Daz and all manner of other crap (fake food), typical SAD eating habits ... my mom's dying (cancer) words to me were "get healthy son" ... so I did. This was late2018, early 2019.

Hit the books hard putting in hours and hours of self-guided research.

Started by skipping breakfast and cutting refined sugar (eventually 100%), booze and cigs ... not easy, but I did it. Once I got through SAD diet withdrawals got on OMAD/IF/KETO (mostly) schedule and settled into an 18/6 Monday~Friday fasting groove. I cut 30 kg in six months and felt energy and cognitive (no more brain fog) boosts like back when I was in my late teens, early 20s. Started daily walking routine and light calisthenics/yoga program.

Signed up for some online course work (Monash University Melbourne) in food as medicine, kept up rigorous daily study/research habits.

Some people don't want to change their lifestyle. My mom, thank god, gave me the motivation I needed and I have kept at it since returning to Southeast Asia.

I have managed to stay free of doctors, hospitals (except for a testicular cancer scare which thankfully was ruled out) and Pharma products, instead using holistic, functional medicine type methods to treat dozens of injuries and illnesses I have had since arriving in Vietnam mid 2019, and now Cambodia for the past year. My immune system is in tip-top shape. I feel super sharp focus mentally (exception is short memory). Energy levels are great and steady.

But at 57, I struggle with ortho challenges. But so far I have been lucky to self treat and rehab my injuries at home and I am able to play golf (1000 balls per week) pain free, mostly. I am still hopeful I will be able to play professional level golf next year. Still have much work to do, but I am getting there little by little and feel confident.

When I went for my urology exam, I also got a full health screen at Royal PP hospital because they had a special promotion. All my numbers were great, with a couple of exceptions.

I guess my point is it is never too late to get healthy. I had given up thinking to myself this is the way it goes after age 50. I figured maybe 10 years ... at best 15 ... before chilling with the earthworms.

Sorry to go on, and I am not bragging, but just sharing my own health journey. Maybe it could inspire one person. Have not had my bio-age tested, but I would not be shocked if it were mid 40s.

Just make sure if you try something like this to do it slowly. For me it was the first two weeks off sugar that was pretty rough. Brain and body freaked. But I knew it was part of it. Ate dried fruit if it got bad and that seemed to work for me.
Aside from the diet/nutrition, I also focus on keeping low stress lifestyle, daily exercise (mostly golf & pool walking) music & laughter therapy, and staying away from toxic junk media as much as possible. I know I post way too much on CEO, but it is something I enjoy (most of the time).

For what it's worth ...
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I prefere a happy 75 year live before a boring 100 year live !!
Open the taps !!!
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Im almost 70 and I go to Bangkok every month for a few days of bar girl destruction, keeps me young.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am There are three guys on YouTube I think are brilliant

Drs Eric Berg, William Li, and Jason Fung ... well worth a look see.
I also check out Berg (11 million subs!), plus Sten Ekberg, Suneel Dhand, David Perlmutter -- all MDs. I like to corroborate what I am told with others. << These MDs tend to be holistic practitioners, i.e., prevention tops treatment any day.

I also fast every day 15-16 hours between meals (only two), walk 3-5 km a day and do what I call kitchen calisthenics.

I feel I am in the best metabolic health (lots of blood tests) in many years (I am 70), largely because I had lots of time to research and practise during the COVID years.

Now, if I could cut out the beer . . . Yeah, right! LOL
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Bongmab69 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 pm I prefere a happy 75 year live before a boring 100 year live !!
Open the taps !!!

Life at 100 would only be boring if you want let it get boring . I'm 77 yo next month and aim to make it to 100 if no tuk-tuk drivers run me over. Walking the full length of riverside and back most days and climbing 60 steps up to my apartment, then down , sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day, plus walking everywhere in PP
keeps me fit. Then I often wake up in the early hours of the morning and do some exercises and lift weights helps me to go back to sleep.. Also having a girlfriend that wants boom boom, sometimes twice in a day keeps the heart pumping and in good condition. .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic