Vietnam advice

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Vietnam advice

Post by Gazzy »

Hi guys, got my folks meeting me in Vietnam in August. I've never been, despite my 5 years here in PP. Anyway, they're planning on Hanoi, Halong bay and Hoi An. They've got a few quid to spend, therefore, would really appreciate recommendations on hotels, beaches and great restaurants in those areas. Thank you.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Vietnam advice

Post by hanno »

Hoi An: most of the good beaches have disappeared due to erosion. A very good Hotel is the Victoria Hoi An (disclaimer: I worked for the company). Avoid weekends if at all possible. A plethora of great restaurants.

Ha Long: I cannot really recommend it anymore (I was in charge of our boats there and was a very frequent visitor). The place is garbage strewn and there are way too many boats following the same itinerary. A circus! Go to the "dry" Ha Long Bay instead.

Hanoi: best hotel would be the Sofitel Metropole. Pricey, but great. Again, too many good restaurants to shake a stick at.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

P.S.: Hanoi and Halong will be stinking hot in August.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Some guy named Bill Gates was in Central Viêt Nam earlier this month. Perhaps you can fillow in his footsteps:

Bill Gates visits Da Nang, Hoi An
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/places/bil ... 18536.html

Bill Gates and girlfriend enjoy tea on Da Nang mountain peak
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/bil ... 20027.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Good advice, thanks guys.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Hoi An is great. Had a good stay at Hotel California and tore it up at Jimmy's beach club on the local An Bang beach village ... Da Nang is also a great place ... Ba Na Hills cable car ride is amazing ... but if you can get them to Da Lat region in the central highlands ... amazing place IMHO ... Saigon is one of my top fav big cities ... Hanoi ... never been. Have fun!

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:01 am
... Saigon is one of my top fav big cities ...

What impresses you most about Saigon? :mulled:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:23 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:01 am
... Saigon is one of my top fav big cities ...

What impresses you most about Saigon? :mulled:
The city is always vibing ... similar to a Tokyo, New York, LA, Bangkok ... but the food, music, history, culture ... nothing like Saigon ... despite it's flaws ... Saigon has a great personality, me thinks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic