Moving from Thailand to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Moving from Thailand to Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

I went for a visa extension two weeks ago but its still not ready. Not sure if visa was made and they are waiting for itnin the mail but what happens if theres a lapse for a few days? Mine will expire tomorrow
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

The extension always starts the date your original visa ends, even if you go weeks to early, dont batter about that !!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm I went for a visa extension two weeks ago but its still not ready. Not sure if visa was made and they are waiting for itnin the mail but what happens if theres a lapse for a few days? Mine will expire tomorrow
Processing can sometimes take a few weeks if the DoI are busy, holidays etc. As long as your passport and EOS application are received by the DoI before the Visa expiry date there's no problems you won'tgo into overstay. EOS validity period will start from the day after your Visa expires.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Randolphgb wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:15 pm I've lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years but recently I've become so tired of their pretentious culture and the swathes of know-it-all expats and posers.

Has anyone ever been in this position and decided to move to Cambodia? How did it go?

I've visited Phnom Penh regularly since probably 2018 and occasionally Siem Reap. I much prefer the people and the general feeling of the country. And have more interest in the Khmer history than anything from Siam.

My business is online based so moving country would not be much of an issue, with the right paperwork.
You simply cannot leave Thailand now. Mr. T just recently returned, so it wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

The fun is just about to begin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Randolphgb wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 am
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm I moved to Siem Reap from Bangkok in January. Everyones circumstances are different, but for me its been a plus, major ones being the air is better, immigration system is easier, its overall cheaper, easier to get around and I get a free Temple Pass.

The food is worse in Siem Reap. There is no Thermae or Nana (good for budget though). There are less tourists.

On the other hand I wouldnt move from Thailand to PP
Is Siem Reap busier than before? I was concerned the new air port and all the tourism promotion would make it too crowded.
After Bangkok, everything is empty
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 pm
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm I moved to Siem Reap from Bangkok in January. Everyones circumstances are different, but for me its been a plus, major ones being the air is better, immigration system is easier, its overall cheaper, easier to get around and I get a free Temple Pass.

The food is worse in Siem Reap. There is no Thermae or Nana (good for budget though). There are less tourists.

Is Siem Reap busier than before? I was concerned the new air port and all the tourism promotion would make it too crowded.
guess u did not travel to phuket in the last 4 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 pm

LOL. True. I live in Bangkok -- although my days may be numbered after living 4 years straight here, a personal record. Witnessed today around Phrom Phong BTS, there are more roller bags on the BTS and Sukhumvit than I have ever seen. Loads of S. Koreans and scattering of Chinese -- and some Euro types. And last, grocery prices are surging upward. Damn!

I used to live in Phnom Penh, a decade ago, and visited many many times. Anyway, following this topic . . .
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

I made the move 12 years ago from Thai to Cambodia. Spent around five years in Thailand before Cambo. Best decision I've ever made. Better culture. Don't overthink this one. Thailand becoming more like Disneyland everyday.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The Goat wrote:I made the move 12 years ago from Thai to Cambodia. Spent around five years in Thailand before Cambo. Best decision I've ever made. Better culture. Don't overthink this one. Thailand becoming more like Disneyland everyday.
Seriously? Thailand becoming Disneyland?

Disneyland is a fantasy world. A very expensive fantasy. Full of princesses, sugar coating, and happiness abound.

I never got that impression when I visited there. Walked to the Nana Plaza BTS every day.

No Princesses. No Happy music. Food was nothing like what the exalted screw salesman posts all the time. Of course being in the tourist traps, expected nothing less.

Looking forward to a retirement in sleepy Siem Reap.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

As a foreigner, it seems that both nations are quite close culturally. Both share Buddhism as their main culture. The food is also quite similar. The tourist areas also look similar. Expats also feel the same way. Lots of short-term know-it-alls, lots of alcohol abuse and fornication, lots of foreign bottom-feeders acting like they're the shit. For the rich, there is more choice in Thailand as it is a larger nation. On the other hand, in many places it seems to be a bit more relaxed here than in Thailand and Vietnam. If you are the rooftop restaurant type, I would choose Bangkok. Both nations offer an abundance of cute little brown chicks who often smile back. And that, in my humble opinion, is the most important thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic