FYI: Heading to HK / China ( even transit)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

FYI: Heading to HK / China ( even transit)

Post by phuketrichard »

beware China's new law an how it could affect you

Sure this video is partially pushing a vpn, the threat could be real IF>>>>>>

Known locally as Article 23, the new national security legislation covers a raft of new crimes including treason, espionage, external interference and unlawful handling of state secrets, with the most serious offenses punishable by up to life imprisonment.

Hong Kong
CNN
Hong Kong’s legislature unanimously passed sweeping new powers on Tuesday that critics and analysts warned would align the financial hub’s national security laws more closely with those used on the Chinese mainland and deepen an ongoing crackdown on dissent.

The lengthy national security bill – the first draft ran to 212 pages – was rushed through the city’s opposition-less Legislative Council with unusual haste at the request of city leader John Lee and debated over just 11 days.

Coming into effect on Saturday, the law introduces 39 new national security crimes, adding to an already powerful national security law that was directly imposed by Beijing on Hong Kong in 2020 after huge and sometimes violent pro-democracy protests the year before.
full story:
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/19/chin ... index.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: FYI: Heading to HK / China ( even transit)

Post by Bongmab69 »

They need 212 pages for something they do in the US in 4 words: the war on terrorisme !!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Bongmab69 wrote:They need 212 pages for something they do in the US in 4 words: the war on terrorisme !!
That’s like saying North Korea and Norway are both democracies. The only difference being one is a People’s democracy (and thus more pure) than a western democracy.

Mainland China keeps shooting itself in the foot. On the one hand, it keeps wanting to increase tourism and western investment to drive jobs and economic growth, while on the other, wanting to roll the clock back to the 1970s before it opened up.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I have been in China four times since 2019, Ningbo, Guangzhou, Beijing (2024) and Shanghai (2023) and I never got my VPN to work in country. In Hong Kong it worked just fine (2024).

Using NordVPN by the way, paid subscription.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well I know some Western academics whose works have been critical of China, and they wouldn't have dared visiting Hong Kong for a long time already. It's not like they needed this new law if they really wanted to get you.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:32 pm I have been in China four times since 2019, Ningbo, Guangzhou, Beijing (2024) and Shanghai (2023) and I never got my VPN to work in country. In Hong Kong it worked just fine (2024).

Wa s in XIAMEN three weeks ago, used Proton-VPN (installed in Iran 2022 but never used after) and had no problems at all in Xiamen !! ??
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:32 pm I have been in China four times since 2019, Ningbo, Guangzhou, Beijing (2024) and Shanghai (2023) and I never got my VPN to work in country. In Hong Kong it worked just fine (2024).

Wa s in XIAMEN three weeks ago, used Proton-VPN (installed in Iran 2022 but never used after) and had no problems at all in Xiamen !! ??
Thanks, noted!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:Well I know some Western academics whose works have been critical of China, and they wouldn't have dared visiting Hong Kong for a long time already. It's not like they needed this new law if they really wanted to get you.
The problem isn’t just academics. It’s whatever the local arresting authorities deems a secret at the time. Criteria are not published and open so everyone knows what to avoid.

Just knowing the price of noodles on the street could lead to an arrest. Silly example, but coupled with the public campaign that every foreigner is a potential spy that needs to be watched. And every citizen who turns in a spy gets a reward.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic