Westerners spend twice as much time on beaches than at Angkor

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Westerners spend twice as much time on beaches than at Angkor

Post by Albror »

Go to a smocked tourist si....Excuse me...Archaeological site or relax on a beach? I wonder why.

Cambodia does have a rich cultural history but its just old rocks that hundreds of million people already taken pictures of. You cant ride on that alone forever. My god, how can some people want to relax instead? :facepalm:
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

When I lived in sihanoukville I went to the beach EVERYDAY .
When I first moved to siem reap I went one time to the gate of angkor wat .
( to see the monkeys ) at 5:30 so i would not have to go in or pay anything ,
We had a special place in sihanoukville to see monkeys and i did that and gave them some coconuts
finally last December i went inside AW and joined some other tourists to see/walk on some big rocks
- - that was one time , after I got a free pass last december now I am able to go anytime for free . What a bargain .
I can see it on you tube and save alot of energy
I just don’t understand the attraction , like everything in the past , those were the good old days .
Now i can honestly say “ been there , done that “
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Been many times and loved everytime, although must admit it was better before they put in all the paths an guard rails, always found something different

BUT the ONE time they opened it at night for a few weeks back in 2009, was magical
to walk where kings an queens walked under a full moon with less than 100 people around>>>
one of the highlights of Cambodia

wont be repeated

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
DiscoverSEA
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by DiscoverSEA »

Ankor Wat is what brings tourists to Cambodia but unless you are really interested in historical temples you can do it in two days. So, then there is the other attractions and a warm beach is high on the list of how to spend the rest of your short holiday.

Holidays are about something different from your usual life.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:43 pm Sure, just go to Malaga if you want sun and sand. You do you.
I’m doing me, that’s why I’m in Cambodia, but a lot of people ask me why I choose Cambodia when I could just go to Mexico, and the reasons I give them don’t seem to be very convincing to people who are just looking to get away for two weeks with their family.

I’m just pointing out some of the reasons I think Cambodia is losing some of the tourists who used to come, and not replacing them with the tourists they want.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am Been many times and loved everytime, although must admit it was better before they put in all the paths an guard rails, always found something different

BUT the ONE time they opened it at night for a few weeks back in 2009, was magical
to walk where kings an queens walked under a full moon with less than 100 people around>>>
one of the highlights of Cambodia

wont be repeated

Is it normally closed at nighttime? How do they do that?
I wouldn’t imagine that it would be difficult to get in and wander around after dark
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

for a few weeks it was all lit up inside and out and they had dancing, martial art shows & music> It was amazing and wont be repeated, as they realized the powerful lights used ( which they mounted by drilling holes into the walls) inside the temple would cause harm to the walls & sculptures.
their was a huge uproar about it , and why it only lasted a short time

The Park is open, as some live inside the park and or use the roads to get home
but
I seriously doubt you could enter any of the temples after dark and just wander around

A TA write up from back than
MUST DO Night Tour of Angkor Wat
Review of Angkor Wat
Reviewed January 26, 2009
We just got back from Cambodia and Laos and our favorite experience in Siem Reap was the night tour of Angkor Wat. This has only recently become available so there are no group tours and very few individual travelers. We felt like we had Angkor Wat all to ourselves. This is not the overpriced night show. You can enter the Wat at the main entrance and walk around freely for only 15 dollars a piece. The Wat is lit up and extraordinarily beautiful. At times, we were all alone without another tourist in sight. Some areas are roped off - not surprising considering that precarious steps and darkness aren't a good combination. Nevertheless, we had access to much more than we expected. If you're going to Angkor soon, don't pass this up while it's still unknown to the tour groups!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I wouldn’t imagine that it would be difficult to get in and wander around after dark
There are hundreds of guards around, you'd get caught and fined.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm
There are hundreds of guards around, you'd get caught and fined.
Surprises me.

I’ve been at several all night events within the temple complex and there were been surprisingly few guards around - even although there were hundreds of runners and support staff around. There were quite a few police around but they didn’t really care about what was going on.
I freely wandered around the elephant terrace and bayon temple in the wee small hours and there was no one to challenge me.
Maybe the hundreds of guards had the night off. Or maybe they just relaxed rules because of the event.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:29 am And your point is? Other than to hear your own voice?
Seeing as this post is now +3 pages long (and you have responded multiple times) and has generated a lot of discussion, I'm beginning to think that is the sole reason you even responded initially in the first place!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic