Card and cash vs phone, banking apps and QR codes

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Card and cash vs phone, banking apps and QR codes

Post by johnny lightning »

I don't know what is more disturbing. Jollibee's in Dalat or someone actually choosing to eat there!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

My UK bank (Nationwide) issues a card reader to all users. Every time I log in to their website I put my card and PIN in and get a code to verify my identity. A couple of years ago they extended this to online shopping. ABA texts me a code for 2 factor authentication when shopping online.

Is the RFID card the same as chip and pin? Brits have been using those for 20 years already.
Scarier than malaria.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ali baba wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:20 am My UK bank (Nationwide) issues a card reader to all users. Every time I log in to their website I put my card and PIN in and get a code to verify my identity. A couple of years ago they extended this to online shopping. ABA texts me a code for 2 factor authentication when shopping online.

Is the RFID card the same as chip and pin? Brits have been using those for 20 years already.
RFID is used for the contactless tap-and go function on your cards.

Some banks permit you to turn this function off - WISE does, so if you have access to UK banking you can get a WISE account. If your bank doesn't allow it, you can physically cut the wire. It's a bit extreme but if you really want to disable the RFID, this is how.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Also, for online payments I usually use Virtual Debit Card, again, only transfer what is needed to the account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I am out of it... I always use cash except to book tickets or buy stuff online.

It just so happens there is an ATM for my bank right outside the front door of the office where I work these days. So, it is very convenient to withdraw riels.

The main reason I prefer withdrawing cash instead of using my cards to do debits in shops is because I can keep track of my spending habits and quickly calculate my monthly expenses easily... I withdraw 300,000 or 400,000 riels at a time.

With bank debits for shop purchases or restos, your account record shows a whole lot of small transactions, so it makes accounting tedious...

Using cash in hand makes me more aware of how much, or how little, I am actually spending. (Little is better...)

(RFID chips sound like a bad invention. They are going to have to improve security. Wow!)
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

orichá wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:29 pm I am out of it... I always use cash except to book tickets or buy stuff online.

Using cash in hand makes me more aware of how much, or how little, I am actually spending. (Little is better...)
This, IMO is a huge advantage of using cash. You fill your wallet with something physical. Every time I open it, I think "Upps."
Every time I go to the ATM, I think "wow, I was here just three days ago."

This can to some degree be simulated by keeping a small digital wallet, which needs to be refilled every couple of days.

Certainly more restraining than using a credit account (and much more secure than using a debit card on a large account).

Sill not quite the same as handing over a bill, which you have to take out of your wallet.

Also, there is the privacy aspect of cash and independence from any network while spending.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

3 months ago I tried to make a payment with my Mastercard in Thailand. It didn't work so i stopped the proces.
After 2 days I experienced in my bank-statement that someone tried to steal 0,01 cent.
It was some (famous) food carrier. I called my bank in europe and was told that my card was (automatically) canceled. They told me that is was some kind of trick by scammers in order to check if connention/communication with the card was possible. Next day maybe they tried it with a bigger amount, I guess!
Mastercard immediately canceled my card. (Standard procedure)
Good service !
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Johnny, my wife happens to be a Filipina so there's the "Chollibee" connection. She swears it's over the moon, my opinion differs drastically! Spaghetti with sliced hotdogs? Ya gotta be shittin me!

They used to have a good burger with a slice of pineapple on it but discontinued it and replaced it with genuinely disgusting gut bombs!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

alexvanlaar wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:29 pm 3 months ago I tried to make a payment with my Mastercard in Thailand. It didn't work so i stopped the proces.
After 2 days I experienced in my bank-statement that someone tried to steal 0,01 cent.
It was some (famous) food carrier. I called my bank in europe and was told that my card was (automatically) canceled. They told me that is was some kind of trick by scammers in order to check if connention/communication with the card was possible. Next day maybe they tried it with a bigger amount, I guess!
Mastercard immediately canceled my card. (Standard procedure)
Good service !
YEP, i Had two months ago a strange case with my WISE-account, they moved 500 U$ out of my account to a ABA-account on PP on the name of a certain Srey??? And Wise blocked it but strangely they tried in the 3 weeks after maybe 10 times to purchase trough google for 1 dollar, which was always denied. I didnt cancel the card but frooze it, and every time i went to the ATM (Bred-bank allows to take 2000 U$) or to minimarket i unfrooze it for a couple of minuts and when i arrived back in Belgium 3 weeks ago I ordered a new WIse-card, (costs 4 euros). And back to square one with a new CC-number !! Good job from WISE !!
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Lucky supermarket at Sorya shopping mall this afternoon. Two checkouts open. One with a queue of six customers, the other had none.

I tried the latter and was told no cash accepted and to use the other checkout. While I queued four other customers were similarly refused and queued behind me.

Meanwhile a 'manager' who could have opened one of the other tills looked on. So company policy, strong arm tactics.

The idle girl on the card/phone checkout was just embarrassed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic