Deli Bistro - Lunch Fixed Menu

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: Deli Bistro - Lunch Fixed Menu

Post by Stravaiger »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 am To be honest, I can't remember ever buying a cheap bottle of French Wine and really enjoying it, they just don't seem to make good wine cheap. If they do, I've never seen it.
Kiwi/Mini C ?

If you like Malbec try the Cahors, Chateau Vincens. $8.90 I think.

Their Vin de Pays Viognier is light but typical, maybe a bit plain but at $5.49 hard to complain. Keep a bottle in the fridge for afternoon visitors, add a dash of creme de cassis for the novices.

For pink, their $8 Clairet goes well with salade nicoise, vitello tonnato.

There has long been a strong bias towards French wines here. Other countries are comparatively underrepresented, notably Italy.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

In Saigon, my go-to wine was Almásy 487 Hárslevelű … freaking brilliant! Have not seen any Hungarian wine yet in KoW.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 am To be honest, I can't remember ever buying a cheap bottle of French Wine and really enjoying it, they just don't seem to make good wine cheap. If they do, I've never seen it.
Kiwi/Mini C ?

If you like Malbec try the Cahors, Chateau Vincens. $8.90 I think.

Their Vin de Pays Viognier is light but typical, maybe a bit plain but at $5.49 hard to complain. Keep a bottle in the fridge for afternoon visitors, add a dash of creme de cassis for the novices.

For pink, their $8 Clairet goes well with salade nicoise, vitello tonnato.

There has long been a strong bias towards French wines here. Other countries are comparatively underrepresented, notably Italy.
I had a cheap viognier at Bouchon and it was horrible. I'm not sure if that is what viognier is meant to taste like, if so, it's not for me. Can you recommend a decent French Sauv Blanc that I can get from Big C?

I'll have a look out for that malbec. Cheers...
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I mostly choose at La ferme for the TOURNON wine, they have it in white or red, btoh at 22 dollars and okay for me (especially the white-one). And about pricing, I think its pretty normal to ask 3 times the price, as somebody mentioned he could make Bouchons menu for 20 dollar whats 56 in the restaurant. I agree completely with that, thats 2.8, if you compare with a can of Anchor at 2500 riel, that makes it 7000 riel, whats exactly what the price is at HARRYS and Larrys for a can. Why streetfood is so cheap, because they dont have a shop to rent and useally no staff, its al the costs around who makes it expensive. If tax-controllers in my country can smell fraude in a snack bar (not a fancy restaurant) they count 2.9 for sales, everything whats bought for 100 euros will be sold for 290 euros, even if its not in the books. If you go to more upper-class restaurants, they will handle maybe 4 or 4.50 for sales !!
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

With reference to corkage, I noticed Romano's Pizzeria charges a reasonable $5.

Not that pizza and wine are natural partners, but if you enjoy a glass or two or hit the antipasti it's definitely worth taking a cheap bottle of something you like.

They're making a Dollar on a beer, so $5 profit for 5 glasses of wine looks like parity. The double /triple markups on wine in some restos are absurd. If they want to take an extra $4 per glass as some do, they should be charging $4.50 for a can of Anchor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic