Have you ever been in a crash on public transport in Asia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Have you ever been in a crash on public transport in Asia?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Shared taxi, full load of people, bigger load of cargo around 6-8 years ago

Driver going for it top speed rally style, front wheels sort of light due to heavy load

Almost made it to destination when, around a bend there's a car stopped because of some road obstruction

Driver hits brakes, brakes do not do very much,slam straight into back of the car in front, bump it 50 metres up the road

Load of pissed looking Mao suited guys get out of it, debate over liability ensues - my driver pays their driver a few hundred bucks, zip ties the front of the taxi in place; completes journey
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

On a bus from Phan Thiet to Ho Chi Minh. Bus driver fell asleep and went off the road at full speed and into a rubber plantation. I don't know if it was luck or a miracle, but we stopped 50 meters in without hitting a single tree.

In Siem Reap, the Tuk-tuk I was in got T-boned by a pickup. I flew out of the Tuk-tuk and hit the ground pretty hard. But a couple of beers fixed me up.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

hanno wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 am On a bus from Phan Thiet to Ho Chi Minh. Bus driver fell asleep and went off the road at full speed and into a rubber plantation. I don't know if it was luck or a miracle, but we stopped 50 meters in without hitting a single tree.

In Siem Reap, the Tuk-tuk I was in got T-boned by a pickup. I flew out of the Tuk-tuk and hit the ground pretty hard. But a couple of beers fixed me up.
You are very lucky - old neighbour died when her tuk-tuk got hit at fairly low speed in PP. The whole thing crumpled like a crisp packet, with her inside. Outside safer bong.
:thumb:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:28 am
DavidMurphy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:09 am
johnny lightning wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:24 am Maybe 15 years back coming from Saigon on a big bus. Sailing along on what was then a new road, few passengers on the bus and Boney M blaring from the speakers. Next moment the bus takes an enormous swerve while hitting the brakes, enormous enough that I was amazed we didn't go over. It was difficult to ascertain exactly what happened but seems like 2 fuckwits on a moto decided that this was a good time to play chicken crossing the road, at the same time a young girl was at the side of the road waiting to cross. Long story short, we just clipped the guys on the moto but hit the girl square on the grill. I wish I had not looked out the back of the bus. The bus company and driver were both Vietnamese. Locals were gathering and wailing and the bus driver was stuffed inside a nearby room by the cops to keep him out of the hands of the villagers. Tragic is the appropriate word. I still remember it well and it's the only major accident I have ever experienced in SEA on local transport.
Also Saigon bus but a city bus. 2016. It hit the city bus in front while I was relaxing on the only seat with a luggage space in front. I flew through the luggage space and hit my face on the chrome bar at the top of the next seat. The only one on the bus to be injured. My front top teeth smashed and cut through my top lip. I was on my knees, leaking blood. Fellow passengers were kind, lifted me up, gave me tissues etc. I called the job interviewer I was on my way to meet. He met me and insisted on bringing me to his dentist, who stitched me up and injected me with painkillers, all paid for by my prospective employer. Got 4 new teeth in PP some time later. My sinuses are f**ked ever since and twice a day I have to snort out a cupful of mucus to ease breathing. Shouldn't have chosen that seat (extra legroom).
The prospective employer acted with class and compassion, what a legend. Did you get the job?
He certainly did!
I couldn't accept a teaching job with a stitched face and no front teeth. Lost my existing job too - and the employer didn't pay me despite me showing up at the office with that face to exact sympathy and display my reason for not being able to teach.
Good employer / bad employer!
I returned to Cambodia a week later after my 6 month experience on the other side of the Annamese mountains and never regretted it.
Harold69
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Harold69 »

Nothing wrong with a three martini lunch!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic