I'm Locked Up

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I'm Locked Up

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:47 pm
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:47 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:48 am Okay, I was looking for River Festival in Phnom Penh. Nevermind.
Guess my apartment overlooks where Mr hun is staying. Guess I should put away the weed in case they show up, huh?
Don’t give a shit what you do to be honest.

But I seriously doubt he would be staying anywhere near your abode.
I dont give a shit what you think (or what you do for that matter), but hes about 300 meters away. Not all of us live in $10 a week rooms little fella
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

This happened to me in PP when Cambodia hosted an ASEAN summit a couple of years ago. I was living in a high-rise apartment, and was told to keep my windows and curtains closed for three days, and was threatened with a fine if I broke "the law". It was around this time I got chatting to another foreigner who lived in the same building who told me that during Covid, the entire apartment was locked down for six months with very, very restricted access in and out of the building. Also, as most of the tenants were foreigners, being visited by competent authorities asking to see papers became a common theme.

It was then that I realised how vulnerable living in a high rise apartments with only one access point is, and how easy it is to control those living there, should the competent authorities choose to do so.

I soon moved out and won't live in one again.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:58 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:47 pm
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:47 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:48 am Okay, I was looking for River Festival in Phnom Penh. Nevermind.
Guess my apartment overlooks where Mr hun is staying. Guess I should put away the weed in case they show up, huh?
Don’t give a shit what you do to be honest.

But I seriously doubt he would be staying anywhere near your abode.
I dont give a shit what you think (or what you do for that matter), but hes about 300 meters away. Not all of us live in $10 a week rooms little fella
You responded to a post that wasn’t even directed at you to begin with, little fella. And you’re a good three (3) football fields away from him, so you’re safe to fry your brain all you want.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I remember this going on during the king's funeral. The apartments on 178 by the riverside facing the park where the funeral was being held were all blocked off in white material of some kind. I think the ground floor was OK, just the rooms that would look down on the park.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Bluenose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 am
Bluenose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:21 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am I was looking and I couldn’t find anything either.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... and%20golf.
Still not sure why windows need to be closed?
Our PM will be there and those windows may be facing the ceremony. Put two-and-two together, since it may very well be a safety precaution.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:09 am
Bluenose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 am
Bluenose wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:21 am
Kenr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am I was looking and I couldn’t find anything either.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... and%20golf.
Still not sure why windows need to be closed?
Our PM will be there and those windows may be facing the ceremony. Put two-and-two together, since it may very well be a safety precaution.
I'm sure it is. I've seen this before, when you have the leaders of a country in a public place, with media everywhere, streets lined with apartments, hotel rooms, balconies etc are no doubt a nightmare situation for the security guys.

They'll be worried about snipers with rifles, protestors with banners or megaphones looking to use the event to get attention and embarrass the govt - that sort of thing.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Do keyboard warriors have anything better to do than belittle other posters?

No wonder there are so many lurkers and not many posters on CEO.

Throwing out put downs to show superior keyboard prowess doesn’t encourage discussion.

Sorry, frustrated by the flaming sometimes.

Otherwise a good discussion on security measures of VIPs.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:30 pm Do keyboard warriors have anything better to do than belittle other posters?

No wonder there are so many lurkers and not many posters on CEO.

Throwing out put downs to show superior keyboard prowess doesn’t encourage discussion.

Sorry, frustrated by the flaming sometimes.

Otherwise a good discussion on security measures of VIPs.
What are you on about now? There were three bickering posts in this thread that only involved two posters. Why do you have to be such a drama queen? It's a nothing burger man, don't fret about it. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic