KhemEnglish among local kids.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: KhemEnglish among local kids.

Post by Username Taken »

I recall seeing an incident at a moto parking place about 20 years ago. The moto parking dudes were uneducated country bumpkins, as they often are/were, being lectured by an educated Khmer because the mirror on his moto had been damaged.
His entire diatribe was in Khmer, as you would expect, then suddenly without missing a beat he included the phrase 'duty of care' then continuing with Khmer.
I'm sure the moto parking boys didn't have a clue what he meant, but the tone of voice was enough to make it clear.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:21 pm I've noticed it with young adults. It's often for convenience as there aren't suitable words in Khmer or the ones they have are too long.

As an example that I don't think is used in speech but is used on road markings:
Imagine writing this on a road:
ចំណតរថយន្តក្រុង
chamnt rothayont krong

Or the alternative: BUS STOP

Also many young people speak English very well even though they are nowhere near going to Switzerland on holiday rich.
How about the word 'you'?

Can be replaced in Khmer by a plethora of words.

Khmer people generally don't use the word "you" except in 3rd person contexts (and even then "bong" suffices even when the audience being addressed is women), replacing with the proper "honourific" or title; I don't think it is rude to use អ្នក in general, but then I very rarely ever hear it used.
simon43 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm Here in north Laos the local kids speak a mixture of Lao and Thai, not only with me but between themselves. Having made the effort with private lessons to add Lao language skills to my existing Thai language knowledge I feel like shouting 'Stop speaking Thai!" :) (or should that be 'ຢຸດເວົ້າພາສາໄທ')
Pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong, but aren't Thai and Lao almost mutually intelligible, much like Scots and English? For example, I know that "Isaan Thai" is pretty much just Lao, but called Thai for political reasons.

So at this point, would it be mixing two languages, or merely an extended branch of a dialectical continuum?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:41 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:21 pm I've noticed it with young adults. It's often for convenience as there aren't suitable words in Khmer or the ones they have are too long.

As an example that I don't think is used in speech but is used on road markings:
ចំណតរថយន្តក្រុង
chamnt rothayont krong

Also many young people speak English very well even though they are nowhere near going to Switzerland on holiday rich.
How about the word 'you'?

Can be replaced in Khmer by a plethora of words.

Khmer people generally don't use the word "you" except in 3rd person contexts (and even then "bong" suffices even when the audience being addressed is women), replacing with the proper "honourific" or title; I don't think it is rude to use អ្នក in general, but then I very rarely ever hear it used.
simon43 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm Here in north Laos the local kids speak a mixture of Lao and Thai, not only with me but between themselves. Having made the effort with private lessons to add Lao language skills to my existing Thai language knowledge I feel like shouting 'Stop speaking Thai!" :) (or should that be 'ຢຸດເວົ້າພາສາໄທ')
Pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong, but aren't Thai and Lao almost mutually intelligible, much like Scots and English? For example, I know that "Isaan Thai" is pretty much just Lao, but called Thai for political reasons.

So at this point, would it be mixing two languages, or merely an extended branch of a dialectical continuum?
អ្នក (anek) is a safe word to address someone but it's so unspecific nobody ever used it except beginners learning Khmer.
In Khmer you barely ever address someone with 'you' (Khmer equivalent: អ្នក / anek) but you address them specifically.
A Cambodian will never ask 'do you want a drink' but will replace the word you with a specific word like brother, younger brother, uncle, aunt, grandpa, or another title, (there's loads) to address the person you're talking too.

Another reason English is preferred. One word in English with only three letters can be used for a plethora of words in Khmer.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

ចំណតរថយន្តក្រុង
chamnt rothayont krong

The first thing I do when I need english is look for a schoolkid.
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

Is this what u talk about ? :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's nothing new, Khmers have been doing that on Facebook for more than 10 years. Cute nas.

What's next, will The Kid tell us that his missus just noticed on Facebook that remorques are being replaced by those Indian contraptions?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic