How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

Post by hdgh29 »

Talk about save the planet...the best thing for the planet is if the human species is drastically reduced, China and India gets my vote. Call me racist if you want...I have no valid response to that.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:01 pm Talk about save the planet...the best thing for the planet is if the human species is drastically reduced, China and India gets my vote. Call me racist if you want...I have no valid response to that.
Racist ? You dint even mention Africa.
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

Lost50 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 am My understanding is Vietnam still has a hold on Cambodia.

Perhaps one day Vn will just annex Cambodia. I know many well educated Khmers predicting it. Although they expect Thailand to grab more land then Vietnam to just step in & control the majority.

I know most will say this is nonsense but I'll go further & say if Vn stepped in, China would absolutely not go guns blazing.

Nobody wants to mess with good ole Vietnam. Vn running Cambodia? Has some bwnefits.

Also never forget history, HCMC was once apon a time a part of KOW.
Yes, until King Chey Chetha II heeded his nagging Vietnamese wife and signed over Prey Nokor to a retreating Vietnamese army that just lost a war in the North. The Kampuchea Krom provinces were empty, remote and neglected at the time. Then more Kinh arrived, then more....the rest is just numbers, history and geography.

Look at a map of Cambodia's eastern border. Green on the right (irrigation, 2 or 3 crops per year), brown on the left (Samnang is laying in his hammock for 6 months, praying for an early wet season).

Khmer Surin and Khmer Krom are a whole lot better off than the Khmer Kandal. Ask them which economy they'd rather work in.

Each time I hear a dumb Khmer man (some clever ones too) bemoan the loss of Khmer Surin or Kampuchea Krom, I gently remind him that the Khmer empire wasn't created with soft power and diplomacy. It was created by extreme violence and theft of other people's lands. Then those people got stronger and took it back. So f'kin what! The Khmer have faired better than the Mon or the Cham, despite their fuckwitery and disunity on multiple occasions in history.

Vietnam does not run Cambodia.
Vietnam runs Laos. Every senior officer in the Lao military and police must go to Vietnam, learn Vietnamese for a year, then do his training and degree. I drank with these cadres. To a man, they all despised and resented the Vietnamese and hated their time there.

Not so Cambodia. Cambodia is getting closer to China which will ensure that Vietnam never gets a hold on Cambodia again. Not while there's a Chinese Navy port here, anyway.

'The Vietnamese plant the rice. The Khmer watch it grow. The Lao listen to it grow.'
French summary of Indochinese.
Addendum: The Thai harvest it. The Chinese mill it and sell it.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The human species is reducing. China has falling population rates, down half a million or more. So is Japan, Korea, and most of the world.

The problem is it’s an unequal reduction that’s causing havoc. Increasing number of elderly, with fewer working population to support them and even fewer births to support the working population.

There is a growing consumption of resources with a decreased output.

This is playing havoc with nations and economies.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Thedeven wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:56 am I spent a few amazing months in Cambodia last year, and safety was never a major concern for me. Locals are incredibly friendly, and I felt at ease exploring the cities and rural areas. One time, I got a bit lost in Phnom Penh, and a local family not only gave me directions but also invited me to share a meal with them. Just keep your usual travel wits about you, and you'll likely have a fantastic time.
I think you're missing the point of this. Sure Cambodia is usually a fine place to live and the people are generally nice. The thread is about geo politics and how Cambodia aligns with any new world order. Nott about your holidays.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

I live in north Laos and feel very safe. Although Laos is China's puppet, I don't think there is anything strategic here that would personally affect me. Bomb the various dams and new railway line perhaps, but I live on a hill :) Perhaps I should store a few bags of rice and install those solar panels....
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

My comments may have upset some..the chap calling me a 'sock puppet' is clearly one of KoW failures.

Anyway.. who supplies electricity to Cambodia?

Bright sparks need not reply unless yuu're truly bight, its a question
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Cambodia itself with 75% of the national consumption ; Laos, Thailand and Vietnam for the last 25% (2019).
We're probably closer to 80% now as the domestic production increases fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic