Tourist Traps

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tourist Traps

Post by sigmoid »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm
Tricky question.
Almost everything in Kampot feels like a tourist trap.
555 - I was earlier thinking about posting similar sentiments with regard to Kampot. :D

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm
7/11 is good though, never fucks you over with the prices.
However, I can't agree about 7-11. Sure the prices are fixed, but as it's not locally owned, i rarely go there.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 pm Costs me the same using PassApp/Grab/Tada whether going to or coming from the airport....$7 to/from Takhmau... give the driver $3 tip, bumping it up to $10 since its a long drive.
They changed it recently, like a month ago.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am La Croisette is not cheap but I'm not sure why you think the quality is low.
La Croisette was ok when it was a French resto but that was a long time ago.

The current incarnation is more like airport / shopping mall cuisine.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Jlucas wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:19 pm I'd say pub street in siem reap
As a long time SR resident I cannot really agree. Yes Pub Street is a sensory overload for tourists (booming music, millions of lights etc) but the restaurants in the area tend to be priced much the same as outside (eg Sok San) and drink (beer) prices are usually the same as most bars, maybe a slight premium (like $1.50 instead of $1.25). In my view there are so many in the area they have to stay competitive and if they were overpriced they would not be in business too long.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Stravaiger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am La Croisette is not cheap but I'm not sure why you think the quality is low.

Agreed. The food is extremely ordinary at premium prices, hence, a tourist trap.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 pm Grab and Passapp tariff from the airport.
I assume you're actually referring to the airport tuk-tuks/taxis...if you book via the apps and go out to the pick-up point (old airport train station - they don't let them inside now) you pay whatever the ride is worth. Usually costs me about KHR 30,000 / USD$7 from the airport to Takhmau.
I payed two weeks ago from 144 street to airport, 30000 KHR for an aircon Camry, booked by Passapp !! If they enter and exit the airport within 10 or 15 minutes (forget it), they dont pay anything !!
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I don't care if 7-11 is locally owned. As long as the staff is sufficiently trained in customer satisfaction, I don't see a problem. In fact, the locally operated market has significantly improved its business as it got fair competition from abroad. I now support both as things have improved beyond all expectations in this department. In this sense, a new world has truly opened up here. And it's happy from the perspective of a foreigner who has been run over countless times by VIP locals. At 7-11, management will even appear at a third checkout to avoid queues building up. Seems otherworldly but true nevertheless.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:17 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 pm Grab and Passapp tariff from the airport.
I assume you're actually referring to the airport tuk-tuks/taxis...if you book via the apps and go out to the pick-up point (old airport train station - they don't let them inside now) you pay whatever the ride is worth. Usually costs me about KHR 30,000 / USD$7 from the airport to Takhmau.
I payed two weeks ago from 144 street to airport, 30000 KHR for an aircon Camry, booked by Passapp !! If they enter and exit the airport within 10 or 15 minutes (forget it), they dont pay anything !!
There's a premium when your trip starts at the airport, not to the airport.
I went to the airport last Thursday, 12k riels, return for the same ride (except I had to walk to the main road) it was 19k riels. Second time I noticed it
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Stravaiger wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Good description,I remember that around 2012 it was manage or run(not sure) by the Cadillac Bar & Grill owner a short stature fellow with a ponytail, but it didn't stay very long since La Croisette have been on the downward spiral.
Boredom is like a shroud
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Cadillac bar was from Chance a Texan guy who also had City-centre hotel. Didnt know he used to have also La Croisette. When one from the Cadillac-girls moved to Croisette i used to come also overthere, i would think in the years 17 or 18. The food and drinks where expensive, but they had some happy-hour-deals, a bit complicated, because it was at different hours, days and drinks. But if you payed good attention you could do a deal. The manager was a Swiss guy who was not really loved with the staff. He was found dead in Queen Wood hotel in his room where he used to live for some time. I taught the owner was a german guy who also had Hops openend around that year. Didnt go for long time even i cross in front almost daily (when i am in PP). But the food loked nice always.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic