Tik Tok to be banned ( maybe) in the US

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Re: Tik Tok to be banned ( maybe) in the US

Post by Roryborealis »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm ]

Seriously? Most data in China is secret. Foreigner corporate businessmen have been imprisoned for having such data under the espionage act.
And the US has imprisoned people under similarly flimsy circumstances (they still haven't entirely explained how the former Huawei chief committed espionage for example), so again I'm not sure things would be that different, especially since many Americans fearmonger about Chinese and Russians kidnapping, when they are the world experts at it--just ask Mr Assange.
But the last official youth unemployment data is 20% (before they stopped official reporting).

“According to Yahoo Finance, China's homeless population in 2024 is 2,579,000. However, according to The Borgen Project, China's homeless population is 300 million, which is more than 20% of the population.”
Which begs the question: If Data is so secret secret, why is it that a US State Department cutout organisation has access to this data? Would this US propaganda mill really have a better idea of poverty in China than say, the UNDB? Can we assume this is the same "intelligence" source as that which predicted Russia's imminent economic collapse? Or the Taliban being "months" away from Kabul's door?
“In 2022, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) counted around 582,000 Americans experiencing homelessness. This is about 18 per 10,000 people in the US, up about 2,000 people from 2020”
If you assume the Chinese are fudging figures, why so willingly trust the United States? Look at how they lie about being in recession, or the true impact of inflation.
Hunger.

“In 2023, global hunger index for China was 5 index. Though China global hunger index fluctuated substantially in recent years, it tended to decrease through 2003 - 2023 period ending at 5 index in 2023.”

“According to 2019 data by Our World in Data, the U.S. has a comparable food insecurity rate to other developed nations, but higher than some, including Germany, France, Austria, and the United Kingdom.

According to The Guardian, 17% of all Britons are facing hunger and cannot afford food. If the US has "higher" food insecurity than that, then what is the real rate?
And the world with mainland China at the helm? The US believes in rules and laws, largely backing the UN.
The people of Palestine, Bahrain, and Iraq would vehemently disagree; Hell, there are people in my village who are old enougj to remember the US bombing campaign over Cambodia that killed as much as half a million people. What law or rule protected them from the predatory Americans?
China believes in bending the UN (and the world to its will), barring that, ignoring the UN and following the ‘wolf warrior’ strategy. Everyone (to the mainland China government) is someone to be taken advantage of.
This ironically sounds more like the US, since even China doesn't have a law calling for a military invasion of the Hague should a war criminal like John Bolton ever be sent down, because China doesn't behave like a rogue state, does it?
Please keep believing that the world would immensely better with Xi’s benevolence.

Sorry for the long reply. My opinions as always.
We agree to disagree, and politely we do so. Nonetheless, I continue to be thankful that I'm alive in a time of waning US influence, since from the bottom of my heart I truly believe it will lead to a safer, more prosperous world in the long run.
Your arguments are supported by the same types of "Western" media sources you just told us are not credible.

Some of your citations are quite old and have been superceded by real world events (and more recent, updated articles).

You talk like an Iranian newspaper.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Roryborealis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am [

Your arguments are supported by the same types of "Western" media sources you just told us are not credible.
Westerners will ridicule and reject outright without so much a glance any article that doesn't come from a canonical list of "trusted sources" that conveniently align with the mainstream narrative of their own nations: In other words, are you saying that if I posted Global Times or TASS media, you'd be more inclined to read it? I doubt it.
Some of your citations are quite old and have been superceded by real world events (and more recent, updated articles).
Such as?
Persians are an intelligent and noble people. Better I sound like an Iranian than the Tel Aviv correspondent for the New York Times!
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am
Roryborealis wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am [

Westerners will ridicule and reject outright without so much a glance any article that doesn't come from a canonical list of "trusted sources" that conveniently align with the mainstream narrative of their own nations: In other words, are you saying that if I posted Global Times or TASS media, you'd be more inclined to read it? I doubt it.
Such as?
Persians are an intelligent and noble people. Better I sound like an Iranian than the Tel Aviv correspondent for the New York Times!
I agree. Persians are wonderful, lovable people. But I was clearly talking about a NEWSPAPER.

Anyway, those aren't the only options. Binary oversimplifications are my exit stage left.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic