Why do Western women visit Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Why do Western women visit Cambodia?

Post by orichá »

InkkieTime wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:47 am ..... same things about a country. Plus there are way way more guys on here than women, so let's remove all of the guys who are only interested in mongering from the equation--would there still be more men than women on this site? If ?
There are no women on this site (... And maybe less than two dozen actual posters here on a regular basis.)

Women come to Cambodia to work and see sights. Not sex tourism.

Young Western ladies seeking sex with locals traditionally go to the Philippines and Bali.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The question is wrong. I think what we're driving at here is are there any reasons why western women visit Cambodia that are different from reasons why western men visit Cambodia. I think this is almost entirely the same for both sexes and anyone on the rainbow in between; Angkor Wat, job, drugs, booze, sex, good weather, beaches, food, whatever floats peoples' boats.

What I would say is that western women are certainly more vulnerable, and call me a misogynist, but they take more physical risk than their male counterparts and should be congratulated for having the balls to do so. As a guy wandering into odd places, maybe taking a wrong turn down a bad street, you still have 99.99% certainty that whatever transpires you will u-turn and go back whence you came unarmed except perhaps for the smell of a fresh saucepan of prahoc being cooked attacking your nose. I suspect many women could walk down Riverside in broad daylight here and still wonder if that weird drunk bald fat bloke is going to jump them at any minute; never mind out in the sticks among a group of young Khmer men at night, or worse, a PP nightclub among sleazy western predators.

If they are here to catch & castrate pedos, even better.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I think for many people, men and women, the reason they came to Cambodia is very different to the reason they stayed in Cambodia.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Jlucas wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:03 am a know a few..
It's great to have online friends.
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:47 pm
I prefer the locals
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Jlucas wrote:
I prefer the locals
Why can’t they be both?

Or is the whole thing just a means to insult each other?
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:26 pm
Jlucas wrote:
I prefer the locals
Why can’t they be both?

Or is the whole thing just a means to insult each other?
To be honesy I really have no idea what you're going on about?

This started because I said I know a few western girls who post to social media about their travels ...

Are you the one I've insulted ? Bit confused where you are going with this
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I don't know about expat women since I'm not one, but I came to Cambodia following my mother, who herself came here (she has since moved back, but I stayed) because there is a lot of growth and opportunity here, it's fun being a big fish in a small pond, and it's a lot more "normal" than most other countries in the world once you get used to the ridiculous heat and learn enough Khmer to make living here more interesting.

Why do women visit or live in Cambodia? The same reason they visit or live in China or Korea or Singapore I presume, just a lot cheaper, a lot more laid back, and a hell of a lot more open and warm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic