How much are you paying for...

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

How much are you paying for...

Post by Doc67 »

Fresh Fish

I went to Central Market yesterday and bought a sea bass and some large prawns. I also grabbed some salmon from Lucky's at their knockdown 30% off.

The price per kilo for the Salmon was: $27.75, less 30%, so $19.42. But this must be eaten that day or frozen. I am not a huge fan of farmed salmon these days after watching a video-nasty about the farms in Norway. The woman in the market was offering whole salmon fillets for $20. so Lucky's are now out of the game.

Question 1: What the best price for entire salmon fillets? Anything less than $20?

The Sea Bass was $10 whole for small or $12 for large. The large was huge, the small was still a foot long. These must be farmed sea bass. They offered $20 for fillets. I bought a whole 'small' one, about 1 kilo, and got them to descale, head and fins off and gutted. That's a very shitty job best left to others. $1 tip for the kid with the cleaver who did it.

I filleted them at home and ended up with net 500g. There was perhaps 50g of flesh that I missed out. Turns out bones are heavy. For the mess, the need to scrub everything afterward etc, fillets seem to be the way to go, unless you want the bones to cook up for fish stock (been there, done that, never again).

Question 2: What's the best price of Sea Bass fillets? $20? I think that can be greatly improved upon.

The prawns were large and needed shelling and deveining. Another messy job that I won't be repeating anytime soon. They cost $13 a kilo and netted 880 grams, so not much wastage.

The price of prawns is very dependent on size, and as I only want them for prawn cocktails (yeah yeah, I know) small, peeled, cooked and frozen would do the job nicely. They were $11 a kilo in Makro a long time ago, Super Duper wants about $30!!

Question 3: Where is a good place for prepared prawns, or peeled and cooked? Any advances on $12 a kilo?

The title and purpose of this thread is to provide a space to price-check things that you buy often, or have given up trying, as it is such a pain in the ass to get reliable, consistent supplies at prices that don't vary wildly. So post away with Where to Buy and What to Pay questions.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How much are you paying for...

Post by Alex »

Reading this, you're really making the case for dining out or getting deliveries. All that time wasted on shopping, preparing, cooking and cleaning up - I really have better things to do, like posting nonsense on here.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Honestly, I have no idea.
I give my wife money for food at the start of each month and I never have to worry about any of this stuff. She keeps what isn’t spent, but we eat well so I don’t worry.

I’m very thankful that I don’t have to concern myself with it.
Prawns I do know, because occasionally i’m asked to walk out and buy them.

The price fluctuates a bit but it’s usually in around:
30,000 riel per kilo. Unprepared.
Or 26,000 per kilo. I assumed that these cheaper ones were older, less fresh. But no, the seller told me that the cheaper ones have jelly injected into them to increase the size and weight. I don’t buy these ones.

Our local seller doesn’t offer shelling and deveining service. But for an extra 10,000 riel will stir fry it for you in a delicious garlicky, curry-like sauce.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:03 am
The price of prawns is very dependent on size, and as I only want them for prawn cocktails (yeah yeah, I know)
There's nothing wrong with prawn cocktail followed by a Hawaiian pizza and perhaps 'Black Forrest' gateaux, paired with a magnum of Tizer... :smile:

Maybe you could call Ostra for their salmon price

http://www.ostrafinefoods.com/wp-conten ... 2017-S.pdf

Meatup Shop salmon is $26.50 /k but supposedly 'sashimi grade'

https://www.meatup.shop/collections/sea ... ies_salmon

Ferme de Bassac had Dover Sole on their menu not that long ago, was it $40 or $60 a plate ?

I'd recommend this fishmongers I was at last year, but it's a bit of a hike from Cambodia

HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I usually just buy salmon belly to brine and pickle for my toast, and that costs around 1.65 for half a kilo, since the local supermarket I buy it from often has it on sale for 50% off, so perhaps 3.30/kg of salmon belly?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am Honestly, I have no idea.
I give my wife money for food at the start of each month and I never have to worry about any of this stuff. She keeps what isn’t spent, but we eat well so I don’t worry.

Or 26,000 per kilo. I assumed that these cheaper ones were older, less fresh. But no, the seller told me that the cheaper ones have jelly injected into them to increase the size and weight. I don’t buy these ones.

Our local seller doesn’t offer shelling and deveining service. But for an extra 10,000 riel will stir fry it for you in a delicious garlicky, curry-like sauce.
Would like to know how much you give your wife, monthly. Not being nosey, it's just me and my wife don't seem able to budget very well and end up spending loads with little to show.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Gazzy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:43 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am Honestly, I have no idea.

Would like to know how much you give your wife, monthly. Not being nosey, it's just me and my wife don't seem able to budget very well and end up spending loads with little to show.
$450 per month. I pay for restaurants and drinks when we go out and occasionally I’ll pay for supermarket shops. She saves some money from the food budget and occasionally will give me money back to save for travelling.
Money isn’t really a point of contention with us, we have a joint account and she can spend from it - but rarely does. We are forever ‘borrowing’ from each other and never pay back. She also has a salary which gets paid into her own account.
She prefers, contrary to common Khmer custom, that I largely manage funds. It works for us.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Picked up a legit albacore at Central for New Year. Paid $10 whole, butchered it myself. Made ceviche and sashimi. Was excellent quality, wild caught and fresh. The vendor will pre-order just about anything you want, speak decent English and is friendly. I will try to find his card. Wife went nuts over it, was her first time to eat fresh tuna, both ways.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

My maths are not 100% correct, but I'm paying about $15 a kg for tuna.
Spoiler:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic