Worthless Cambodian Police

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Worthless Cambodian Police

Post by General Mackevili »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
The pictures added nothing of value to the story apart from shock value.
Again, even mainstream media shows graphic pictures, including dead people and bloody victims. It's part of the story.

They even recently showed that pilot from Jordan that was burned alive! How fucked up is that video? Did all the news agencies get permission from everyone in his family before showing him burned to death in a cage? No, of course not. It's news and they published it.

Again, we put stuff in SPOILERS so that ONLY people who feel mature enough to look at them can choose to do so.

Anyways, I'm starting to think it's a good idea for the Cambodian government to censor the internet. Then, only stuff that THEY think is OK can be seen. It makes no sense to have access to everything on the internet and allow individuals to decide for themselves what they want and don't want to see. Because if that happens, they might search for something they didn't want to see and see it, and that's clearly the fault of the websites, not the users, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

General Mackevili wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote: That and the tabloid tendency as seen as with the refusal to take off pics as per deceased family request make me wonder about my presence in this board.
I have to agree with this. It was a dickish move not removing the pictures after the family requested them to be removed.
LoL, it's ridiculous to remove news stories and pictures because certain people don't want them online. I think some of you don't get the idea of freedom of speech at all.

If people don't want to read about their dead relatives or see images of them, they need to stop doing searches on Google.

Again, that's the problem with the news. Nobody wants to be in it.

Could you imagine if any news with about dead people weren't published because some people didn't want them to be published? Can you not remember how many dead people you've seen on the news? Do you think those families wanted those stories/pictures online?

So yes, it's heartbreaking any time a family member wants those things removed, but it's insane to actually remove them.

Ok, everyone can get back to crying about this and that, LoL... :thumb:
Thank you, you answered my question.
I now understand you want CEO to become a news media of some sort rather than a simple discussion forum. IMO the mix of both won't bring any good as for contents but might very well help you increase income and capital value.

I can understand this and even wish you success in your venture.
However as I said earlier, for me ethics prime over money. Call this old fashioned if you want.

I'll read others positions before assessing mine again.
Sorry no LOL here on the subject.
Last edited by Barang_doa_slae on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Just because others do it does not mean you have to as well.

I stand by my point the pictures could have been removed without any impact to the "story".

This is about what you feel is acceptable on your forum. Some of Your members and even your moderator agree the pictures should have been removed once it was requested. You can choose what you show and don't but that does not mean people can't have a opinion on your decision one way or the other.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

kiwiincambodia wrote:
The pictures added nothing of value to the story apart from shock value.
And did you click on the SPOILER? You sick fuck! Why would you do that! ? ! ? I was thinking that none of our CEO members would do such things. I'm also disgusted that the thread got over 2,000 views! Appalling! :stir:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

kiwiincambodia wrote:Just because others do it does not mean you have to as well.

I stand by my point the pictures could have been removed without any impact to the "story".

This is about what you feel is acceptable on your forum. Some of Your members and even your moderator agree the pictures should have been removed once it was requested. You can choose what you show and don't but that does not mean people can't have a opinion on your decision one way or the other.
Cool, and thanks for the honest feedback! I guess I just have a more liberal view about what should be on the internet, that's all. I'm a big fan of "if you don't like it, don't watch it."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »