ABA: Potential Sale by National Bank

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: ABA: Potential Sale by National Bank

Post by ali baba »

@Alex @xandreu
What about shopping or using an ATM overseas?
Scarier than malaria.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ali baba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:34 pm @Alex @xandreu
You can't, with a virtual card. I have both physical and virtual cards.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

ali baba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:34 pm @Alex @xandreu
The ABA has a new option now called “ visa to visa “.
To send money .
One of my thai kids don’t have a bank account but has a Visa card .
He wanted me to send him some $$$ by western union ,
I said F that , last time they charged me about 100 bucks .
He got a Visa card to cash in / debit from anyone who pays him from his cash app
I tried it from the ABA Visa card to his but it was rejected because it stated. “ out of area “
It’s for around Here only but he is in the USA 🇺🇸 Tough luck
But it might answer your question above 👆🏽
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

ali baba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:52 am
xandreu wrote:I can't remember the last time I used my debit card, and am unlikely to replace it when it expires.
How do you pay for online shopping or sign up for online subscriptions?
Does the app provide an alternative 'virtual' card?
As mentioned, yes, ABA do offer virtual cards - your actual physical card is in the app also, as an image, with all the numbers on the front and you click 'show CCV' and it flips around to show you the back. But as I said, even when that expires, you could probably get away with just using virtual cards.

The worldwide banking system is moving 100% app based, and things like debit cards just won't be a thing for much longer anyway.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:59 pm
ali baba wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:52 am
xandreu wrote:I can't remember the last time I used my debit card, and am unlikely to replace it when it expires.
How do you pay for online shopping or sign up for online subscriptions?
Does the app provide an alternative 'virtual' card?
As mentioned, yes, ABA do offer virtual cards - your actual physical card is in the app also, as an image, with all the numbers on the front and you click 'show CCV' and it flips around to show you the back. But as I said, even when that expires, you could probably get away with just using virtual cards.

The worldwide banking system is moving 100% app based, and things like debit cards just won't be a thing for much longer anyway.
Haven't used a card in well over a year. Still replaced it recently because their system has intermittent issues lasting 24-36 hours a few times a year at the moment & my phone could get broken, lost or nicked

They have a self service card printing machine in the ABA branches now; scan the QR code with the banking app, select the account or virtual card you want a physical card for, select the colour and style and print it on the spot. Takes under 2 minutes to do what had always been a bit of a tedious fuckaround with customer service either in branch or on the phone in the past - in any bank I have used, in any country
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I am really concerned about my ABA account. Almost everyone I know has had some fraudulent transactions on their ABA cards from applepay or bnghelp, all from US locations. When you call ABA they ask you to freeze your card and come into the bank and report it. They then take around 6 weeks to refund the amount to you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic