receiving 2 factor authentication while abroad

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: receiving 2 factor authentication while abroad

Post by newkidontheblock »

The problem with receiving a SMS abroad is it depends. Depends on the carrier, depends on the cellular settings on the phone, depends on the bank sending the SMS. That’s why so many members have different experiences.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:44 pm Not paying attention. I don’t take the sim out of the phone. I don’t need Wi-Fi calling turned on because it works over Wi-Fi. I receive SMS fine.

And my bank will not send SMS to a foreign number. I need an active US number in my name.
talk with them< citibank ( and chase )didn't use to send me sms for confirmation/codes BUT
after constantly asking for it, they did and do :-)

regardless
when / if u have a US bank and a US sim, than its a no brainer to just turn it on when ur expecting codes sent to it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I use VoWiFi for my Thai number when I'm not in Thailand and that has been working reliably for SMS from my Thai banks.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

There was just one person on here who was saying it was impossible to work over Wi-Fi.
mali246
Tourist
Dominica

Post by mali246 »

This problem can be solved with online SMS verification. You can receive 2-factor authentification codes anywhere with online SMS verification. I use https://anonymsms.com/ to rent a private number when traveling and with it, I can receive all the authentication codes. This works great for me because I don't have to pay the roaming prices just to get my codes.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

You may want to read this first before using an anonymous SMS site

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/ ... s-websites
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

mali246 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 am This problem can be solved with online SMS verification. You can receive 2-factor authentification codes anywhere with online SMS verification. I use https://anonymsms.com/ to rent a private number when traveling and with it, I can receive all the authentication codes. This works great for me because I don't have to pay the roaming prices just to get my codes.
I guess I wouldn't trust such a service with something as sensitive as OTPs for financial institutions.

Receiving SMS via VoWiFi works reliably for me when I'm abroad, and it's free of charge. The one remaining risk is that I lose my phone along with the foreign SIM card, there's no hope that I can replace the SIM card out of country.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Alex wrote:
I guess I wouldn't trust such a service with something as sensitive as OTPs for financial institutions.

Receiving SMS via VoWiFi works reliably for me when I'm abroad, and it's free of charge. The one remaining risk is that I lose my phone along with the foreign SIM card, there's no hope that I can replace the SIM card out of country.
If you have a newer mobile phone. ESim would be an option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic