Old Swiss francs exchange in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Old Swiss francs exchange in Phnom Penh

Post by sigmoid »

I saw it mentioned somewhere on this forum a while back that there are a couple currency exchanges in PP that will exchange old series Swiss francs but cannot find it now.

Does anyone have any leads on their location.

Any help appreciated. Cheers 👍
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Old Swiss francs exchange in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

Ly Hour?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, immediately after posting this, I went to Pun Leu photo studio to get some passport photos. It's on St. 182 around the corner from Lucky Lucky in the block before the Capitol Guesthouse.

As I waiting for the photos, I decided to head across the street and pick up some hydrogen peroxide at the pharmacy, then when I turned back, I realized that there was a currency exchange shop right next door to the photo studio. So, I asked the lady if she could make the exchange. She made a call, and initially the answer was no.

But then she took a photo and sent it and then said yes, she could give 80 bucks per 100 old swiss francs, which I gladly accepted as better than zero.

The shop has no English name and it's not on Google maps, but the address is, I believe 2CEo Oknha Tep Phan St. (182).
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

At that exchange rate I would also have gladly bought the francs from you. Pity you didn't ask here in the forum..
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Kuyavic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:56 am At that exchange rate I would also have gladly bought the francs from you. Pity you didn't ask here in the forum..
Yes, I was perhaps too hasty, but the amount wasn't large (CHF 240) and my time in Phnom Penh is limited, so I jumped at the chance to get rid of them and mark it off on my to-do list.

I wonder how the situation came about though. Why did these notes become unusable in a relatively short period after being issued?

Thanks for any info.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic