Cambodian Driving Licence

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Cambodian Driving Licence

Post by rogerrabbit »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:49 pm Where can you get an interantional licence in Cambodia ??
A couple of years ago my ex was looking around for one if she came to europe, that she could drive also here, but she never found where to get one in PP !! ??
Yeah I think couple years ago you didn't get it anywhere. They started to issue those last year and they do those in same offices where you can renew your driving license.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501309439/ ... s-license/

But is IDP really needed in EU? Cambodian license is in english and Cambodia is part of Vienna Convention.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

The Vienna convention is from 1969 (its 31 pages, i didnt read all) and i am pretty sure anyone coming from out of the EU needs an IDP with probably some exceptions as US,UK, maybe AUS and NZ. But even Russians need it in EU and Morrocons also (sure about that), and we need it also overthere (any place out of EU, with probably some exceptions also). The only places the IDP was not recognised in 2022 (when I was on the road to KOW) was Myanmar and China. In the EU a lot of immigrants keep on driving with their IDP but normally they only can for 90 days, and then they have to apply for a national driving licence from the country they live in, but several countries do agree to just change the national DL to a local-one. And the list is not really "logical". My ex had a colombian DL: cant change. If she was Brazilian or Congolees, she could . . .
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:53 pm The Vienna convention is from 1969 (its 31 pages, i didnt read all) and i am pretty sure anyone coming from out of the EU needs an IDP with probably some exceptions as US,UK, maybe AUS and NZ. But even Russians need it in EU and Morrocons also (sure about that), and we need it also overthere (any place out of EU, with probably some exceptions also). The only places the IDP was not recognised in 2022 (when I was on the road to KOW) was Myanmar and China. In the EU a lot of immigrants keep on driving with their IDP but normally they only can for 90 days, and then they have to apply for a national driving licence from the country they live in, but several countries do agree to just change the national DL to a local-one. And the list is not really "logical". My ex had a colombian DL: cant change. If she was Brazilian or Congolees, she could . . .
I tried to obtain an IdP for Cambodia last January and was turned down. According to the worldwide idp-system Cambodia doesn't not recognize idp's.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:53 pm The Vienna convention is from 1969 (its 31 pages, i didnt read all) and i am pretty sure anyone coming from out of the EU needs an IDP with probably some exceptions as US,UK, maybe AUS and NZ. But even Russians need it in EU and Morrocons also (sure about that), and we need it also overthere (any place out of EU, with probably some exceptions also). The only places the IDP was not recognised in 2022 (when I was on the road to KOW) was Myanmar and China. In the EU a lot of immigrants keep on driving with their IDP but normally they only can for 90 days, and then they have to apply for a national driving licence from the country they live in, but several countries do agree to just change the national DL to a local-one. And the list is not really "logical". My ex had a colombian DL: cant change. If she was Brazilian or Congolees, she could . . .
Seems there is no common rule in EU for this. In nordic countries for example you can drive with foreign license as long as you are not resident in those countries.
https://reservation.frontdesksuite.com/ ... 0000000000
You need translation if the driving licence is not written in the Latin alphabet. But Cambodian license would be ok for example as it's in english as well.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:20 pm
I tried to obtain an IdP for Cambodia last January and was turned down. According to the worldwide idp-system Cambodia doesn't not recognize idp's.
I have been stopped several times in Cambodia by police, in about all the corners from the country (included Ratanakiri and payed official fine), and if they saw my IDP useally they scratched their head, but never maid problems about it. Last time was 28/12/22 when i enterred PP for my last miles coming from Belgium. I did not renew my Khmer-licence since 2017, as the garage who used to rent me cars (and arranged the DL) said, its not anymore necessary, you can drive in Cambodia with your IDP, what wasnt before the case, i had to renew every year my CAM-one (just pay 40 US) !!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:22 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:20 pm
I have been stopped several times in Cambodia by police, in about all the corners from the country (included Ratanakiri and payed official fine), and if they saw my IDP useally they scratched their head, but never maid problems about it. Last time was 28/12/22 when i enterred PP for my last miles coming from Belgium. I did not renew my Khmer-licence since 2017, as the garage who used to rent me cars (and arranged the DL) said, its not anymore necessary, you can drive in Cambodia with your IDP, what wasnt before the case, i had to renew every year my CAM-one (just pay 40 US) !!
I have renewed my Cambodian DL every year so far, but to be honest, it is a pain. I have to go to Phnom Penh for it, go to AEON2 in the early monring to avoid a large queue ahead of me, and spend an hour or two, plus around 40$, to get my one year DL. When I was in the Netherlands last January I thought I could bypass it all an get an IDL for EUR 25 with a three year validity. Unfortunately it's not (legally) valid in Cambodia. I still got it, because maybe in the three years period they will start accepting it, but I only drive in Cambodia with a valid license. This means next July I'm up for another annoying trip to AEON2.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Never had a Cambodian license, never saw the reason to pay $30+ for 1 year
My Thai 5 years license is 100% legal in all ASEAN countries, yet have found in Cambodia only gets me out of not paying fine 30% of the time>
still out of 15+ years of driving in the country, only paid at most $50 total fines

Yea, i know , If i have an accident, but still.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bongmab69 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:49 pm Where can you get an interantional licence in Cambodia ??
A couple of years ago my ex was looking around for one if she came to europe, that she could drive also here, but she never found where to get one in PP !! ??
Don't need it as license is in English

I've used Khmer license without remark or issue in four EU countries to rent cars and insure and drive them so I guess it's fine
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The IDP isn’t recognised in Cambodia, legally as such, but several of the ‘rental’ companies asked for it when I wanted to rent a vehicle (2018/2019). Basically Local licence was required to rent, with insurance. Or IDP was required to rent, but you wouldn’t get much insurance cover, if any.

The IDP itself seems a little confused in its applicability. It states that IDP is required for the USA, yet I never had one when renting in Texas, during 1990’s or early 2000’s. Nor in Canada (unless the company applied on my behalf)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic