daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Old laptop SSD replacement - or new laptop

Post by daeum_tnaot »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:47 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:55 am
IraHayes wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:16 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:17 pm All right, sounds doable. Now I'm really going to go out on a limb. Do you think I can replace the 18650 cells in my laptop battery?
In most laptops the 18650 cells are contained in a sealed battery pack which is designed to be replaced as a whole unit. This unit comes pre-assembled with the necessary 18650 cells, electronics, and protective casing. This makes the replacement process simpler and reduces the risk of damaging the cells or compromising the safety of the laptop.
Also, matching the specifications of your 18650 cells might prove tricky and any deviation from OEM might not bode well for the laptop.
All right, thanks, I guess that's not an option. There is also a replacement battery available on AliExpress, but I've never bought anything on there. Do you think the products on there are acceptable standard?
While I do not use online retailers myself I know there are many users here who have. To be fair, the same rules of due diligence apply no matter the product you are looking to buy but these rules apply more for an online purchase.

Check the reviews.
Check the returns policy and has anyone posted a review where an issue was fixed promptly
read the Terms & Conditions.. carefully!
Ask around... which is where some users on here may be able to offer more insight
All right, thanks! I'll check it out before ordering!
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:42 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:43 pm If you are not able to install the new SSD alongside your original SSD and need to transfer the Windows OS while the new SSD is not connected, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a system image:
Create a system image: Use the built-in Windows feature called "Create a system image" to create a backup of your current Windows installation. This will create a compressed copy of your entire system, including the operating system, installed programs, and files. Save the system image on an external storage device (such as an external hard drive or USB drive). Accessing/finding this utility is shown below

2. Prepare a bootable USB drive:
Create a bootable USB drive with Windows installation media. You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB drive.

3. Disconnect the original SSD:
Shut down your laptop and disconnect the original SSD from your laptop. This step is crucial to ensure that the Windows OS is not accessible during the transfer process.

4. Connect the new SSD:
Connect the new SSD to your laptop. Make sure it is properly connected and recognized by your system.

5. Boot from the USB drive:
Start your laptop and enter the boot menu by pressing the designated key (usually F12 or Esc) during startup. Select the USB drive as the boot device to boot from the Windows installation media.

6. Install Windows on the new SSD:
Restore from the system image: After the Windows installation is complete, boot up your laptop using the newly installed Windows on the new SSD. Connect the external storage device containing the system image you created earlier. Use the Windows "System Image Recovery" feature to restore the system image onto the new SSD. This will transfer your Windows OS, installed programs, and files from the system image to the new SSD.

7. Configure BIOS settings:
Once the system image is restored, restart your laptop and enter the BIOS settings. Make sure the new SSD is set as the primary boot device to ensure that your laptop boots from the new SSD.

9. Verify Windows installation:
Finally, boot up your laptop and verify that Windows is successfully installed on the new SSD. You can check the system properties or explore the new SSD to ensure that all your files and programs are intact.

Start this in the morning after about 2 cups of coffee have cleared any cobwebs. Creating the recovery disk will take time, Installing the the system image onto the new SSD will take time. If it all goes south reinstall the old SSD

The thumb drive will need to be at least 16Gb and if you are transferring a lot of files you may need to go to 32 or 64Gb.
PS. Its way easier if you can connect the new SSD alongside the old SSD but that isn't an option for you as your laptop will only have the ability to connect 1 drive.

Great, thanks a lot. I did a similar process to recover my wife's laptop. I created a Windows installation disk and then made a copy of her drive with Macrium reflect. Do you think the Windows feature called "Create a system image" is better than Macrium Reflect?

Also, for step 6, how will Windows know that you have a legit windows for your computer? Is there some kind of record on the computer that shows the Windows installation media that it should install Windows? (I think the device connects to the internet so it may be checking by the internet).
Get a usb caddy and then use macrium or similar to clone your existing drive! Then install the new HD in the laptop and use the old drive as external storage by putting it in your USB caddy.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:43 pm If you are not able to install the new SSD alongside your original SSD and need to transfer the Windows OS while the new SSD is not connected, you can follow these steps:

Create a system image: Use the built-in Windows feature called "Create a system image" to create a backup of your current Windows installation. This will create a compressed copy of your entire system, including the operating system, installed programs, and files. Save the system image on an external storage device (such as an external hard drive or USB drive). Accessing/finding this utility is shown below

Create a bootable USB drive with Windows installation media. You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB drive.

Shut down your laptop and disconnect the original SSD from your laptop. This step is crucial to ensure that the Windows OS is not accessible during the transfer process.

4. Connect the new SSD:
Connect the new SSD to your laptop. Make sure it is properly connected and recognized by your system.

Start your laptop and enter the boot menu by pressing the designated key (usually F12 or Esc) during startup. Select the USB drive as the boot device to boot from the Windows installation media.

Restore from the system image: After the Windows installation is complete, boot up your laptop using the newly installed Windows on the new SSD. Connect the external storage device containing the system image you created earlier. Use the Windows "System Image Recovery" feature to restore the system image onto the new SSD. This will transfer your Windows OS, installed programs, and files from the system image to the new SSD.

Once the system image is restored, restart your laptop and enter the BIOS settings. Make sure the new SSD is set as the primary boot device to ensure that your laptop boots from the new SSD.

Finally, boot up your laptop and verify that Windows is successfully installed on the new SSD. You can check the system properties or explore the new SSD to ensure that all your files and programs are intact.

Start this in the morning after about 2 cups of coffee have cleared any cobwebs. Creating the recovery disk will take time, Installing the the system image onto the new SSD will take time. If it all goes south reinstall the old SSD

The thumb drive will need to be at least 16Gb and if you are transferring a lot of files you may need to go to 32 or 64Gb.
PS. Its way easier if you can connect the new SSD alongside the old SSD but that isn't an option for you as your laptop will only have the ability to connect 1 drive.
@IraHayes I'm finally getting ready to do this. I'm concerned about malware somewhere in my existing software and files. I'm wondering if, after the Windows installation, I can just manually copy my files back into the new hard drive, and then reinstall my software one by one and as needed.

I've had this computer for a long time so potentially some of the old software I don't need? Reinstalling one by one may weed out some old unused software? And if any malware was hidden in there it won't be reinstalled.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:40 pm @IraHayes I'm finally getting ready to do this. I'm concerned about malware somewhere in my existing software and files. I'm wondering if, after the Windows installation, I can just manually copy my files back into the new hard drive, and then reinstall my software one by one and as needed.

I've had this computer for a long time so potentially some of the old software I don't need? Reinstalling one by one may weed out some old unused software? And if any malware was hidden in there it won't be reinstalled.
As long as it is a genuine copy of windows that you are installing and you run windows update as soon as it is finished and keep the security settings as installed then the built in virus and malware scanners are more than adequate.

If the software you are re-installing is "cracked" or otherwise not fully legit then you will need to "allow" the cracks as they are flagged by windows.

Windows Settings >> Privacy and Security >> Windows Security
Actually after the windows update just check in Windows Security >> Virus & Threat Protection ... that all your stuff is all up to date... It will say "Virus and Threat Protection Updates" and it should say all up to date. You could click on the link "Protection Updates" and then click the "Check for updates" button to belt and brace it but then yeah .. you should be good to go.

So in summary.

Get your shiny new PC
Install windows
run windows update
Also while on the Windows update check Advanced Options >> Additional updates
Check security updates in Windows Security
Install your software one by one (either copy the installation files over or install from the SSD)

Edited quickly after posting as I typed "will need to disable the cracks" .. When ofc, I meant "will need to "allow" the cracks". The virus scanner will disable them as trojans but this is standard operating practice for all virus scanners.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

On a personal note to the above post I made I would also add that I take the opportunity of a clean install on a new PC to tidy up and debloat stuff. Strip out stuff from windows startup to the bare essentials. My startup list contains 15 programs and only 5 are set to run at startup. Chris Titus also has a small program to debloat windows OS and I reduced my process count from 280+ down to 162 (checked as I was typing this).

All of the above may be a bit excessive but I posted the info for completeness to give you all the options.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

daeum_tnaot wrote:

4. Connect the new SSD:

@IraHayes I'm finally getting ready to do this. I'm concerned about malware somewhere in my existing software and files. I'm wondering if, after the Windows installation, I can just manually copy my files back into the new hard drive, and then reinstall my software one by one and as needed.

If you have concerns about Malware, install and scan your system with Malwarebytes, get from their official site. You can use the free version. Also, where did this malware come from, software?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic