ABA transfer to th UK

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

ABA transfer to th UK

Post by WillieW »

To send US Dollars back to the UK with transferwise. They have provided me with a Swift Code ending in XXX which ABA Bank says does not exist. However I have searched online and found the wise Bank in the UK Barclays in Churchill Place in London and found their Swift Code and sort code and all the information .would I be safe enough just to use that information to transfer the money? Also there is no space on the ABA app to put in the reference number that wise request you put in is it safe enough to send the money without that reference number? Wise seem to be expletive useless they don't even reply to my queries I have sent them three inquiries asking for proper codes to send the money and they don't even bother replying.
Be your own toy.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ABA transfer to th UK

Post by MrBen87 »

Easiest and cheapest way is to send via PayPal. You can't recieve money into a PayPal account in cambodia but you can send, maybe look into that?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

You’ll be much safer using the bank details from the app rather than something you’ve found online.
If you transfer ABA to Wise UK then you are at the risk of ABa doing the currency conversion. If that happens then you lose all the benefits of wise.
Transfer to wise US, then convert in app, then send from wise UK to your UK account.
Wise customer service is decent, but not speedy.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

MrBen87 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm Easiest and cheapest way is to send via PayPal. You can't recieve money into a PayPal account in cambodia
Not even using a VPN?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

truffledog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:19 pm
MrBen87 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm Easiest and cheapest way is to send via PayPal. You can't recieve money into a PayPal account in cambodia
Not even using a VPN?
What matters is which address the PayPal account in question has been opened with. If it's an address in Cambodia, such a PayPal account is more limited than in many other countries.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Go into the head office branch and fill out a proper swift form.
Cyril56
Tourist

Post by Cyril56 »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 pm Go into the head office branch and fill out a proper swift form.
I would but Im not in country at this time .
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Wise (previously Transferwise) bank is not at Churchill Place, I used to work there for Barclays.

The Wise SWIFT code is definitely: TRWIGB2LXXX

Wise Bank address:
FLOOR 6, TEA BUILDING 56 SHOREDITCH HIGH STREET, LONDON

It is displayed on their own website:
https://wise.com/gb/swift-codes/TRWIGB2LXXX

Show the ABA staff this & they should get on with it. Note 'XXX" is a legitimate SWIFT code ending, it usually is reserved for the head office of a bank which might not necessarily be an operational branch though, could be why ABA are nervous.

That said, bank staff would know from the account number/sort code in the UK where is was meant to go & sort it out. I had a similar experience with JTrust recently who asked me to check the SWIFT code (ending XXX) I gave them, I told them to go ahead - money arrived no problemo. That's a problem with many Cambodian banks, a lot of "cannot" and "IT says no"; elsewhere I saw an "NBC says no" response which is a dismal "it isn't our fault, but we have no idea what we're doing" excuse.) /rant
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic