As ASEAN chair, will Laos play it safe on Myanmar?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

As ASEAN chair, will Laos play it safe on Myanmar?

Post by phuketrichard »

2 years ago ASEAN chair was Cambodia an during that time NOTHING was done with He at its helm, even thou He pushed back a little
last year again, Indonesian at the helm...... nothing done

will this is be the same?

ASEAN is as toothless as the UN

Some fear Laos will try to normalise the junta or serve Chinese interests, but while past behaviour shows a commitment to its ASEAN neighbours, it may ultimately just go through the motions and leave the status quo unchanged.
By ALLEGRA MENDELSON | FRONTIER
On January 1, Laos took the reins from Indonesia as chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. As a result, it also became responsible for steering the bloc’s approach to the region’s most pressing crisis – the conflict in Myanmar since the 2021 coup.

Despite sharing a small border with Myanmar, Laos has few ties with the country. But as a one-party, authoritarian state, some fear that it will side with the military regime in Nay Pyi Taw. Vientiane is also widely perceived as being beholden to its superpower neighbour and largest creditor, China, which has maintained formal relations with Myanmar’s junta in contrast to ASEAN, which continues to exclude top junta leaders from regional meetings.

However, diplomats and ASEAN analysts interviewed by Frontier point to Laos’s previous chairmanship as proof that it’s not merely Beijing’s puppet. Vientiane takes its role in ASEAN seriously, they say, and so would be reluctant to undermine the Five Point Consensus. This agreement, reached between members of the bloc and the junta in April 2021, sets certain conditions, such as an end to the violence and dialogue between all parties, before the regime can be brought in from the cold.

Nonetheless, with its limited resources and pressing problems of its own, it’s unclear if Laos has the will or capacity to make a breakthrough where previous chairs have failed. It has also appeared to show little interest in an initiative started by Jakarta, before it handed over the chairmanship, to ensure continuity and pool resources through a “troika” partnership between Laos, Indonesia and Malaysia as the current, preceding and future chairs. This has led some to conclude that Vientiane will quietly go through the motions without taking any risks, before passing the buck to Kuala Lumpur and leaving Myanmar’s crisis unresolved.
full story
https://www.frontiermyanmar.net/en/as-a ... n-myanmar/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: As ASEAN chair, will Laos play it safe on Myanmar?

Post by John Bingham »

Laos is in hock. They will try their best to walk the tightrope between Vietnam and China. There's too much Chinese investment in Laos for them to go off the official line.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's my understanding that one of the founding principles of ASEAN is that no member gets involved with another members internal affairs. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that on more than one occasion. Or words to that effect.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Laos, cute little country... has Laos ever played any role, in anything at all?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Alex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:50 am Laos, cute little country... has Laos ever played any role, in anything at all?
I hear they received a huge amount of "no strings attached" munitions from the US about 50 years ago.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

xandreu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:34 am It's my understanding that one of the founding principles of ASEAN is that no member gets involved with another members internal affairs. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that on more than one occasion. Or words to that effect.
From the ASEAN charter.

"2. ASEAN and its Member States shall act in accordance with the following Principles:

(e) non-interference in the internal affairs of ASEAN Member States"

What are they supposed to do, Richard? ASEAN has already passed them over for the chair in 2026

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/5 ... .%E2%80%9D

IR is a complex game. Rightly or wrongly, one nation or even a group of them can't tell another nation what to do.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:06 am
xandreu wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:34 am It's my understanding that one of the founding principles of ASEAN is that no member gets involved with another members internal affairs. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that on more than one occasion. Or words to that effect.
From the ASEAN charter.

"2. ASEAN and its Member States shall act in accordance with the following Principles:

(e) non-interference in the internal affairs of ASEAN Member States"

What are they supposed to do, Richard? ASEAN has already passed them over for the chair in 2026

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/5 ... .%E2%80%9D

IR is a complex game. Rightly or wrongly, one nation or even a group of them can't tell another nation what to do.
yes, cant interfere BUT, they can voice their displeasure, refuse to allow them to attend meetings, ask them to adhere to the 5 point plan
Stop doing business /profiting with the Junta until they get their shit together.

With this new forced military attendance, the young Burmese are getting more Fucked
Thailand wont accept them , they dont want be like Cox bazaar in Bangladesh where over 1 million Rohingyas live
there are some camps between Mae sot and Mae Hong Son where Burmese have been living for over 35 years!!!

Long live the Wa !

the world is , of course, more focused on Ukraine and Gaza
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic