Passports and paternity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Passports and paternity

Post by Jerry Atrick »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am Wow, that's crazy what you guys have to go through! Applying for Kids NZ Citizenship by Descent & Passport is a breeze, just had to send application and supporting docs via DHL to NZ, all approved and NZ Citizenship Certificate with Passport delivered to my doorstep in Cambodia in under 4 weeks from the birth. The main document required being the official Cambodian Birth Certificate listing me as the father and a NZ witness stating that they know me and have known the child since birth - no need to provide photos, evidence of enduring relationship with mother, DNA tests or any of that bullshit.
very much the same here

Luck of the draw I guess; we don't choose where we are born
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:42 am Wow, that's crazy what you guys have to go through! Applying for Kids NZ Citizenship by Descent & Passport is a breeze, just had to send application and supporting docs via DHL to NZ, all approved and NZ Citizenship Certificate with Passport delivered to my doorstep in Cambodia in under 4 weeks from the birth. The main document required being the official Cambodian Birth Certificate listing me as the father and a NZ witness stating that they know me and have known the child since birth - no need to provide photos, evidence of enduring relationship with mother, DNA tests or any of that bullshit.
Try that as a single father when the child is 5 years old ,
After the mother was out of the picture for a few years
and all the original ( made up name for mother & father ) records was useless
and you didn’t approve of the name they gave your son , was lost
I was thinking to wait to do it after covid ,
Then got the shock , from my embassy
cambodia passport no problem
Just pay for what you need , now I,am waiting to do the DNA test ,
Hopefully that’s my best choice 🤞🏽🤞🏽 and hopefully that will be covered here ..
and I can update on my own topic ..
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:09 am This time, and this my 2nd submission, I didnt provide enough photos and I didnt provide my wife's birth certificate. Both of these items are surely IRRELEVANT?
For me the process actually turned out to be quite simple. Yes, there was a lot of paperwork to gather, but once it was done there was just a quick video interview and that was the end of it.

All the people I've encountered who have had to do multiple attempts have one thing in common: They didn't provide the required paperwork, they knew they weren't providing the required paperwork even though they could if they made some effort, and they blame the requirement for said paperwork rather than their lack of commitment to obtaining it.

Again, I'm not saying it's fast or easy, it took us a couple of months to obtain everything (my son's official Khmer birth certificate being the hardest) but it was doable and the process became a breeze after we had gathered everything we needed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic