Tipping the food delivery person.

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Tipping the food delivery person.

Post by xandreu »

They do a shit job that luckily, none of us will ever have to experience. A dollar here and there means more to them that does to me. I don't always tip, some of them can be a bit stressy - I get it that it can be a stressful job, but most jobs are. When you're dealing with customers, the art is in covering up your stress. So long as they are reasonably polite, or at least give service with a smile, which most do, I usually have a buck for them.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:41 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:29 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:07 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:38 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm

Depends on what platform and what city. But for example in Phnom Penh Nham24 pays base salary of $100-$250 and then they get commission on each delivery. Not sure how much it is. And obviously they get the tip too.
Average salary for full time Nham24 delivery driver in Phnom Penh is around $550. In Sihanoukville slightly less, Kampot and Siem Reap on average they make probably $400-$450. The best ones in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville makes closer to $800 / month on peak months, which is pretty great salary for delivery guy in Cambodia. On other platforms the drivers are often just freelancers, so no base salaries. Nham24 pays the best.
Are these numbers right? I find it hard to believe that a Nham24 delivery guy can take home $800 per month. What makes a good driver, in that they could make that much money? Surely there can’t be that much difference in delivery timings between the best map readers and the crappy ones - maybe save 5 mins an hour? Do the bigger earner just work 16 hour days?
The numbers are from the management and from drivers so I would say the numbers are pretty accurate. The $800 figure was provided by the company's founder. And yes, I do believe earning that much usually means working extra hours, but the usual income is made during normal Cambodian work hours.
I just happened to spot a job advert for Nham24, which further proves my numbers:

I didn't think the roads could be any more dangerous to walk on until the explosion of these delivery drivers. 99% of Khmers drive at a fairly pedestrian pace, but these guys add a whole new layer of risk when walking around town.

These are the guys that will always go around the waiting traffic and jump the lights, they will tear around blind corners into small streets at twice the speed of the granny on her Honda and will happily play chicken with you in a head-to-head. They are always looking at their phones too, so never assume they have seen you.

Fortunately, their garish corporate colours are now embedded into my brain's limbic system and prepares me for evasive action the moment they come into view.
It still astonishes me how routinely and nonchalantly they will risk their life and limb (and those of others) for such relatively low stakes. They should tie the tip to safe driving metrics. I ask them please drive safe and do not rush but do they listen?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

xandreu wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am They do a shit job that luckily, none of us will ever have to experience. A dollar here and there means more to them that does to me. I don't always tip, some of them can be a bit stressy - I get it that it can be a stressful job, but most jobs are. When you're dealing with customers, the art is in covering up your stress. So long as they are reasonably polite, or at least give service with a smile, which most do, I usually have a buck for them.
Yea to be serious for a moment, I always tip $1.
I do not do %, always $1, except if I'm ordering some ridiculous pricy imported stake than I will tip more just for the sake of it.
But this $1 generally adds up to like 20% of the order or whatever.

What bothers me is westerners who you know will tip whatever is expected in western countries because they don't want to seem cheap, but on the other hand in poor countries do not tip because they don't want to make the poor people greedy or what not.

Totally lame.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am They do a shit job that luckily, none of us will ever have to experience
speak for yourself ser, I did my time as a delivery rider as a teen

easy work, free food, lotsa tips and a higher wage than many more challenging menial jobs
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:01 pm
xandreu wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am They do a shit job that luckily, none of us will ever have to experience

easy work, free food, lotsa tips and a higher wage than many more challenging menial jobs
Delivering pizzas made my car smell like pizzas. Until the day it stopped running, the automobile reeked of pizza. I was grateful to have saved for it bagging groceries and other shit jobs since it was the key to hustling and picking up orders that took me to parts of town I'd never have seen otherwise. At that age, to be out driving around like a banshee was worlds better than sweeping floors or washing dishes or cleaning up after animals while stuck in place, literally.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:01 pm

Unless you were doing that in Cambodia, I don't think it's quite comparable.
But I agree, there are a lot of jobs that are worse here while paying less and without tips.

Not to mention being a kobalt miner in DRK, or cleaning dry toilets in India, that's probably much worse.

Still going to keep tipping though :beer3:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic