I'm back in Phnom Penh with the fam!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

I'm back in Phnom Penh with the fam!

Post by General Mackevili »

Don't have a lot of time in Phnom Penh, as we mainly came back to see the family here, who are in Battambang. I've already been blessed enough to meet up with some lovely CEO expats, but always looking to meet up with more. We actually spent a couple of weeks in Bali, but the internet there is total shit, so haven't uploaded jack, but thought most here in Cambodia would much prefer seeing some of our travel videos/pics from other areas outside of Cambodia that they might want to visit.

Traveling with our almost 2-year old daughter is a lot more work than traveling around with just me and the wife (duh), but luckily she's been an easy traveler the whole time, and loves tuktuks, planes, motos, trains. Nap time still hits like a tonne of bricks, so you might see me carrying around a passed out baby, lol, as that doesn't slow us down much.

A few quick questions...

1. In Bangkok and Bali we could easily find little 'pouches' of yogurt. All I've found here are pouches of juice, not yogurt. Where, if anywhere, could I find these you reckon?

2. Where's the cheapest place to buy imported Bourbon (not Jack Daniels)? Mateo recommended Bayon Market, which seemed like damn good prices, but wondered if there were any cheaper places? Picked up a full liter of Bullit and Buffalo Trace (which can be near impossible to find in the US sometimes) which were both $35, and a liter of Myers's rum, which was $14, all of which were a shit load cheaper than what I pay in the US. Thought I should buy what I always want to have in Battambang, as they don't always have everything available, and I think prices are a bit more there as well.

3. Any cool vegetarian restaurants in Phnom Penh? Also have my mom and my almost 90-year old grandma out here with us on this trip, and they don't eat meat, so would be great to know of some good vegetarian spots to check out.

:beer3:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I'm back in Phnom Penh with the fam!

Post by cabron »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:43 pm Don't have a lot of time in Phnom Penh, as we mainly came back to see the family here, who are in Battambang. I've already been blessed enough to meet up with some lovely CEO expats, but always looking to meet up with more. We actually spent a couple of weeks in Bali, but the internet there is total shit, so haven't uploaded jack, but thought most here in Cambodia would much prefer seeing some of our travel videos/pics from other areas outside of Cambodia that they might want to visit.

Traveling with our almost 2-year old daughter is a lot more work than traveling around with just me and the wife (duh), but luckily she's been an easy traveler the whole time, and loves tuktuks, planes, motos, trains. Nap time still hits like a tonne of bricks, so you might see me carrying around a passed out baby, lol, as that doesn't slow us down much.

A few quick questions...

1. In Bangkok and Bali we could easily find little 'pouches' of yogurt. All I've found here are pouches of juice, not yogurt. Where, if anywhere, could I find these you reckon?

2. Where's the cheapest place to buy imported Bourbon (not Jack Daniels)? Mateo recommended Bayon Market, which seemed like damn good prices, but wondered if there were any cheaper places? Picked up a full liter of Bullit and Buffalo Trace (which can be near impossible to find in the US sometimes) which were both $35, and a liter of Myers's rum, which was $14, all of which were a shit load cheaper than what I pay in the US. Thought I should buy what I always want to have in Battambang, as they don't always have everything available, and I think prices are a bit more there as well.

3. Any cool vegetarian restaurants in Phnom Penh? Also have my mom and my almost 90-year old grandma out here with us on this trip, and they don't eat meat, so would be great to know of some good vegetarian spots to check out.

Welcome back to the Charming City, Vegetarian in PP I like the Hummus House on Sisowath Quay ( near the Titanic) good quality food at a resonable price. :hattip:
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's been a while, what's your impression of the city since you were here last? As for restaurants, if they like Indian there's plenty of choice. I often eat at Hummus House which has plenty of vegetarian options. There are lots of specialty vegetarian places but I'm not so clued up about them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Welcome back! I recommend looking at nahm24 and going to their top rated vegetarian restaurants.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I have a 2 year old. I haven't noticed those yoghurt pouches here.
The best value drink shop is probably Che Deth on the west side of st 13 just south of 148.
Kanazawa on riverside between 118 and 110 should have some tasty meatless dishes.

If you want to borrow our stroller while you are here, you can. Riverside location.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

cabron wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:59 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:43 pm Don't have a lot of time in Phnom Penh, as we mainly came back to see the family here, who are in Battambang. I've already been blessed enough to meet up with some lovely CEO expats, but always looking to meet up with more. We actually spent a couple of weeks in Bali, but the internet there is total shit, so haven't uploaded jack, but thought most here in Cambodia would much prefer seeing some of our travel videos/pics from other areas outside of Cambodia that they might want to visit.

A few quick questions...

Welcome back to the Charming City, Vegetarian in PP I like the Hummus House on Sisowath Quay ( near the Titanic) good quality food at a resonable price. :hattip:
That must be a great one, as they've gone there twice now. Haven't made it there myself, but I wouldn't be shocked if they weren't one again.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:00 pm It's been a while, what's your impression of the city since you were here last? As for restaurants, if they like Indian there's plenty of choice. I often eat at Hummus House which has plenty of vegetarian options. There are lots of specialty vegetarian places but I'm not so clued up about them.
Sounds like that's the place for sure.

First impression has honestly been, "where's all the trash?" as it seems 10X cleaner that I remember, lol.

We went to Grokka (I'm sure my spelling is off, but it's in Bassac Lane area), and that was nice and cheap enough. Good stuff, thanks.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:05 pm I have a 2 year old. I haven't noticed those yoghurt pouches here.
The best value drink shop is probably Che Deth on the west side of st 13 just south of 148.
Kanazawa on riverside between 118 and 110 should have some tasty meatless dishes.

If you want to borrow our stroller while you are here, you can. Riverside location.
Cool, haven't seen any either, so I'll give up my search.

Nice recommendations, thanks.

Appreciate it, but we actually bought some foldable stroller to lug around, lol.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Having met you and your lovely wife (a golf-oriented person) ... I just have one burning question ... how did you select your avatar? Gotta be a great story behind that. #dotell
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Elia Greek Kitchen has good vegetarian food in TTP and Bassac Lane.
https://eliathegreekkitchen.com/
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic