Frugalpats

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Frugalpats

Post by Bluenose »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:27 pm If i want to buy something, i always try two questions: do i really need it, if not, question nr two: does it make me happier. If twice no, dont buy it !!
Similar thing - ask myself can I easily buy it at the same price tomorrow? If yes, wait until tomorrow, see if I still want it.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Stravaiger wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:33 am

Any frugalpat stories or confessions appreciated. Or even 'Top Tips' for the fiscally prudent.

Invest in your kitchen equipment & supplies and eat like a lord for pennies on the dollar

I often see "expats" moan about something like how "the price of the ingredients is five times as much as it costs to eat out, so I eat out three times a day"

Which is total bollox. I estimate that (in our house) we spend $400 a month on groceries but eat dishes that if they came from a cafe or a bar/resto with prices on the lower side would cost us closer to $60/70 per day between us all

Plus most are tastier and healthier than anything out of a struggling resto, don't have to worry about palm oil. excessive MSG, margarine or minimum wage ectoplasm finding it's way into my diet
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

"Thai" (did not see any Thai trucks) market this weekend in Kampot. Not as good as previous years and all the sellers seem very downbeat. Had some soup and meat and it tasted very bland.

Tried some fired locust for the first time. Meh. Pretty boring and no taste. I can see why they never caught on in the world even though they are supposed to contain more protein than meat.

Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:27 pm I tend to focus on earning more, or making an extra income on the side, the point being able to afford regular stuff + extra stuff.
Don't really want to put my life on a spreadsheet anyway.
This makes a lot of sense from the perspective that any savings that can be made are going to be less than extra potential income. So if the accumulation of money is the objective then don't sweat the small stuff.

I know many who embrace the 'work hard, play hard' philosophy and presumably feel that the wealth they enjoy gives them the freedom to do whatever they want.

But not whenever they want. Not only are they driven to work long hours, often with international commuting taking large bites out of their time, they are mostly on call during their breaks. In short they are time poor.

My experience has been different. I realised early in life that my freedom was worth more to me than the ability to buy things, things which as noted here I didn't need and wouldn't make me any happier. I'd rather use tuktuks than own a fancy car, if it means I don't have to deal with customers or manage staff. Il n'est trésor que de vivre à son aise.

But work/life balance is a personal call, and I have been lucky to have the option to 'take my retirement up front'.

And I admit to using a spreadsheet.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:13 am

Any frugalpat stories or confessions appreciated. Or even 'Top Tips' for the fiscally prudent.

Invest in your kitchen equipment & supplies and eat like a lord for pennies on the dollar

I often see "expats" moan about something like how "the price of the ingredients is five times as much as it costs to eat out, so I eat out three times a day"

Which is total bollox. I estimate that (in our house) we spend $400 a month on groceries but eat dishes that if they came from a cafe or a bar/resto with prices on the lower side would cost us closer to $60/70 per day between us all

Plus most are tastier and healthier than anything out of a struggling resto, don't have to worry about palm oil. excessive MSG, margarine or minimum wage ectoplasm finding it's way into my diet

Yes the humble rice cooker is one of the best investments you can make. Can do everything from boiling an egg to making hot water for your coffee. Or in this case put 4 corn cobs which cost 1,000 r each, in some water,, bring to the boil,, then switch to "keep warm mode" for several hours ( or days). Who said you cannot live on $5 per day.

Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

This may be the best Top Tip, although the price of some ingredients has risen quite sharply.

I make pasta dishes with smoked salmon or Gorgonzola and the protein component can now work out at $3-4 per portion. I sympathise with the restos that are trying to sell these dishes for $9+ in Phnom Penh (or $6 in Kampot) but of course, as you say they are not using quality or even authentic ingredients. And when you factor a glass of wine in...
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Stravaiger wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:19 am

This may be the best Top Tip, although the price of some ingredients has risen quite sharply.

I make pasta dishes with smoked salmon or Gorgonzola and the protein component can now work out at $3-4 per portion. I sympathise with the restos that are trying to sell these dishes for $9+ in Phnom Penh (or $6 in Kampot) but of course, as you say they are not using quality or even authentic ingredients. And when you factor a glass of wine in...
Top frugality tip - Don't buy smoked salmon or gorgonzola in somewhere like Cambodia.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:47 pm Top frugality tip - Don't buy smoked salmon or gorgonzola in somewhere like Cambodia.
Good advice - unless you live in Cambodia and don't want to entirely forego the comfort foods of home.

I suppose my interpretation of frugality is not being wasteful in order to be able to enjoy some of the good things. Targeted thrift.

We are all economical in some ways, profligate in others. The frugalpat referred to in the OP didn't smoke, drink or use drugs but I wouldn't say that he had no vices. His character was formed growing up in extreme poverty following WWII.

Another example here was an accountant who had worked and saved in London for many years before retiring very early. I tried to persuade him to buy the large barrels of treated water for 3,000 Riel but he insisted on just boiling a kettle in his guest house room because, he argued, he was already paying for the electricity.

Another Top Tip: buy a Moka pot or even just a $1 ca phe phin and make your own coffee at home or at work. The quality will be much better, and you can use the money you save to buy Gorgonzola - or whatever.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Thats different bro as there are a few of you - as a single person it is cheeper to eat out - I just got a huge crab,egg,pork fried rice from the guy on riverside for $2.50 that I will get 2 full meals out of and my dog gets some as well. I couldn't make it myself for that price.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Of course, because the guy at riverside has hardly any "overhead-costs". He buys the crab, prepares them in a 20 year old cart and thats it. If you rent a 2000 dollar riverside-unit with 4 staff and a big electricity bll from your aircon, you cant sell the same crab for 2.5, even not for 5 US. In Belgium, tax-controllers count 2.9 the value what costed to you and thats for a snackbar-bussiness pre-covid. I heard last week at the moment in a pretty normal restaurant you should sell 4 or 4.5 to make a living of it. But ofcourse in my country laybour is hopeless expensive . . . In Cambodia i am often surprised how little profit they make on anything, what about the monet-changers, they soemtimes go under 1% profit, and those who change riels to dollars and back sometimes go on 0,25% !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic