Beer Bus Bust

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Beer Bus Bust

Post by hdgh29 »

I was amused by the phrase "not conforming to societal norms". Surely drinking to excess and ignoring road rules are totally societal norms here?
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:46 pm If anyone is sceptical about the local police force it's me, but the combination of available breathalyzers, serious fines (increased about ten fold) and greed make me consider this time it might be different.
I hear it is crushing many bar/resaurant/KTV businesses.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am
Kahuna wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:31 am The photo from Kung-fu Hillbilly could start a new thread on "Whatever Happened To....."

What are you seeing ?
I see a word “ image “ but there is nothing to see
They are asking me to put in a photo .
That’s a problem on your end. I see a photo of someone who might be pissontheroof in his younger, more mobile years, on his way to getting less sober or coherent.
You’re missing out.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:46 pm If anyone is sceptical about the local police force it's me, but the combination of available breathalyzers, serious fines (increased about ten fold) and greed make me consider this time it might be different.
Not to mention, the current prime minister seems to be charting a course on tackling quality-of-life issues, and I realised this the day the downtown section of the Siem Reap river (which was always conspicuously filthy) was one day completely cleaned up without warning or fanfare--caught everyone I know (mostly all Khmer) off guard too, since it happened so quickly, literally with days of the changing of the guard.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this, since alcoholism is a problem most people are beginning to see a societal evil, and thus this is a two-birds/one-stone situation: His government can not only raise economic productivity and lower mortality, but also boost his popularity as well among people who see this as one of the top (not the top) quality-of-life issue affecting the Kingdom .
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

What I cannot wrap my head around is how locals party like the dickens out in the open for all to see ... but a beer bus is foul territory ... does not add up in my military mind ... but trying to make sense of the showings on in Khmer style ... Well, that's a losing game. Personally, I thought is was a cute & clever idea. Maybe more coffee money next time?
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm
Not to mention, the current prime minister seems to be charting a course on tackling quality-of-life issues, and I realised this the day the downtown section of the Siem Reap river (which was always conspicuously filthy) was one day completely cleaned up without warning or fanfare--caught everyone I know (mostly all Khmer) off guard too, since it happened so quickly, literally with days of the changing of the guard.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this, since alcoholism is a problem most people are beginning to see a societal evil, and thus this is a two-birds/one-stone situation: His government can not only raise economic productivity and lower mortality, but also boost his popularity as well among people who see this as one of the top (not the top) quality-of-life issue affecting the Kingdom .
Alcoholism is a disease. Illness and behaviour are not one in the same.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:54 pm I was amused by the phrase "not conforming to societal norms". Surely drinking to excess and ignoring road rules are totally societal norms here?
Causing anarchy and disruption by driving awkward vehicles full of unrestrained passengers through the streets, seems to be pretty normal here too.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

LamarFreddie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am

I don't really care. Alcoholics are pests that harm others and can't help but make their "illness" everyone else's problem. Ever had a friend or loved one killed by a drunk driver? I don't think you'd be so sympathetic if you did.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:38 pm
I don't really care. Alcoholics are pests that harm others and can't help but make their "illness" everyone else's problem. Ever had a friend or loved one killed by a drunk driver? I don't think you'd be so sympathetic if you did.
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:41 pm As far as I'm concerned, they're all welcome in Cambodia. Russians are good people, and I have zero qualms against any of them (neither does every Khmer person I know)

Do the math yourself.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:38 pm
LamarFreddie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:16 am

Yes, I have lost someone to drunk driving. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't feel the wrath becuz I'm christian
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic