FOR SALE: Khmer440.com [SOLD!]

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: FOR SALE: Khmer440.com

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Unless you're a devout hindu on your death bed.
Bring Back Buck
Expatriate

Re: Re:

Post by Bring Back Buck »

vladimir wrote:
This is real life, bozo! :lol:
vladimir wrote:
It were a joke, moron.

Adults don't decrease another posters karma for disagreeing with them, internet crybaby.
vladimir wrote:
How old are you, 11?
Using the words "Crybaby", "Bozo" and "Moron" I have the suspicion that you are in fact an 11 year old and you are looking for play friend?

Be a good boy and go play in the street with all the traffic!
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
Revenue from what? How much can they possibly charge for those ad spots? 30 bucks a month or something?
I have no idea how the web site came up with its figures and was suprised that the valuation was that high.
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
milkncereal
Expatriate

Post by milkncereal »

its probably worth a decent amount due to how many inbound links they have already built up. It will rank #1 for lots of stuff related to cambodia.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

I googled Cambodian Expats Online when I first looked for CEO site. K440 results were all over the first page.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Joon wrote:I googled Cambodian Expats Online when I first looked for CEO site. K440 results were all over the first page.
Logical, CEO do not use any site specifique word. For Google expats, online and Cambodia are very common word, consequently there are use on a lot of page of KH440.
K440 having by far the largest trafic, its pages will be ranked first.
Same if you use CEO + forum + Cambodia , K440 will very present on the results are those word are common, you will also have a lot of official organization who have CEO and forum or participate to forum.

KH440 do not have this problem as KH440 is specific to this site, nobody else use this combination of letter on their pages

On the contrary if you tape a word which is used almost only on this forum CEO will appear first. Like master cylinder + forum

IMHO they should have chosen a name not so commonly used (even better invent a word) so as to be more visible for web search, at it is this problem will be permanently present. Thing is if you want to search a forum google is usually more performant than the build-in in search engine in the forum so not having a distinctive signature to use for the search is a problem.
There is also the fact that for the occasional lurker who do not put CEO on its favorite, if remembering CEO is easy, it does not allow to found the site (CEO + forum + cambodia will not make the site appear for most user). Lurker do not create content but are an important part of the traffic and thus value of the site.

Perhaps a change of name or the adoption of an other diminutive should be envisage.
Last edited by ryoon on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

ryoon wrote:
Joon wrote:I googled Cambodian Expats Online when I first looked for CEO site. K440 results were all over the first page.
Logical, CEO do not use any site specifique word. For Google expats, online and Cambodia are very common word, consequently there are use on a lot of page of KH440.
K440 having by far the largest trafic, its pages will be ranked first.
Same if you use CEO + forum + Cambodia , K440 will very present on the results are those word are common, you will also have a lot of official organization who have CEO and forum or participate to forum.

KH440 do not have this problem as KH440 is specific to this site, nobody else use this combination of letter on their pages

On the contrary if you tape a word which is used almost only on this forum CEO will appear first. Like master cylinder + forum.ey

IMHO they should have chosen a name not so commonly used (ven better invent a word) so as to be more visible for web search, at it is this problem will be permanently present.
Agreed -- the choice of names is quite awful from a SEO perspective.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

takeoman wrote:
CharlieHarpersBar wrote:I can't believe anybody bought into it in the first place. As has been said, they're generally a labour of love rather than viable business centers. The effort it takes to maintain a busy one will always outweigh any gains.

The only exception is if you have your own business to promote and you use the forum as a vehicle of self promotion, in which case it can work well. I don't advertise anywhere now except my own forum and facebook (well, small ad in BP). This is enough to keep my rooms pretty full year round.

That said, what value would I put on it currently? A couple of thousand as an ego boost to someone with way too much time on their hands.
w3snoop.com disagrees with you it puts a sale value of $31,162 on it, reckons it has a daily revenue of $85 :beer:
Where would this $85 per day be coming from?
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

As for the value of the site I am not surprise by the 30 000$ price tag.
Even with the popularity going down look at the mobilization that was possible with the Liam Straughter case.
The thread was not tracking him daily but close to it.
If I agreed that the add revenue must not be so important (but more than enough for paying for maintenance) , being the owner of such a communication tools present a lot of potentiality.
Especially given the fact than before CEO their was not any other place.

I do not worry for KIR he will find a buyer.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Regarding advertising value of 440:
Real ads, not the kind where you charge a flat monthly fee, are paid in CPM/CPC. With the degree of traffic they get that could mean a lot of money since they're clearly willing to cover it in ads.

Regarding SEO:
For short term SEO you're right... That word combo isn't great. For long term its perfect though because those are the terms ppl use. Once the site traffic and Google worth grows those keywords will pay off nicely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic