transfer thai visa into new passport

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

transfer thai visa into new passport

Post by truffledog »

Had a new passport issued in BKK. The arrival stamp still beeing in the old one (now cancelled but I still have it).

Today I tried to transfer the arrival stamp into the new passport and went to Immigration in Chaeg Wattana. Was then directed to IT Square Building at Lak Si where Thai Immigration has other visa related counters. The lady at the booth told me i dont need to transfer the visa into my new passport. Just show up at the airport with both passport and leave with no problem.

Has anybody recently left Thailand on a new passport with the entry stamp beeing in the old one? I have already had a lot of trouble getting the new passport in BKK and would love to avoid more problems (missing another flight) while messing with immigration exiting Thailand.

Googling I cannot find confirmation...some websites say that you have to transfer. I am confused.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: transfer thai visa into new passport

Post by Alex »

You can just leave with both passports, you got correct advice.

Unless you apply for an extension, immigration offices within Thailand are usually unwilling to transfer your arrival stamp.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

leave with both passports No Problem
BUT if ur in Thailand on 1 year extension's at some time your going to need go to the immigration that issued ur first extension in ur old passport an get this stamp

it states what passport you came in on /when and what visa and the entry stamp for that date/immigration and other info

if u came in on a visa exempt or tourist visa ....nothing needed to do, just show both passports at immigration an du will be stamped out on new one

i am doing mine at the same time i get my new 1 year extension ( next month)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Alex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:54 pm You can just leave with both passports, you got correct advice.

Unless you apply for an extension, immigration offices within Thailand are usually unwilling to transfer your arrival stamp.
Actually I was thinking of getting an extension outside of BKK. Lets hope it will work.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:55 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:54 pm You can just leave with both passports, you got correct advice.

Actually I was thinking of getting an extension outside of BKK. Lets hope it will work.
If you get an extension, they will (have to) transfer your arrival stamp. They can neither give you that extension in your old (invalidated) passport nor in your new one that doesn't have the arrival stamp. If you fly out without getting an extension, just take both passports - your IO will send you off to the passport transfer desk where they will transfer your arrival stamp and stamp you out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

truffledog wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:55 pm

as i posted above, than to get an extension in ur new passport when you came in on ur old one
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Went to Immigration in Trang today. They transferred my arrival stamp into the new passport and got an extension within 30 minutes. Best ever experience at any immigration so far. Heaven compared to the endless queues in BKK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic