Flying to Thailand on a one-way ticket

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Flying to Thailand on a one-way ticket

Post by armchairlawyer »

I want to know if Air Asia permit this (or demand to see evidence of return flight).

As of one year ago, I was OK with Thai Vietjet (they just warned me that Thai immigration may fine me $500) and Bangkok Airways (who demanded to see a return flight but relented after a discussion).
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Flying to Thailand on a one-way ticket

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I flew Air Asia from India to Thailand on a one way ticket six weeks ago with no request from anyone to sight an onward or return ticket - this has been the case any time I've entered Thailand on Air Asia from anywhere over the years.

If you're concerned, buy a throw away ticket Phuket - Penang or similar to show onward travel, but I wouldn't be too worried. You could also buy a cheap throw away ticket on the spot at the Air Asia counter should there be a problem, which I doubt there will be.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when I flew one way, going for a visa exempt PP- Phuket via bangkok on air asia they asked
I had, https://onwardflights.com/
worth the $7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Last year, I used AirAsia 4 times to fly from PNH to DMK. I wasn't asked for an outbound ticket on any of those occasions, and I never had one. But I've seen other people getting asked, so I guess it depends on a number of factors. I did the "mobile check-in" each time, so I essentially just went to their priority lane to get an official boarding pass print-out as that's a silly PNH requirement. Not sure if that makes any difference, but at other airports, you wouldn't even talk to any check-in clerk when doing mobile check-in (like using AirAsia in the opposite direction).

Those who require a visa to enter Thailand are definitely asked for that visa, I saw that several times. I have a re-entry permit, but they wouldn't know without asking me or sifting through dozens of Thai and Cambodian stamps in my passport.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as u have a re entry permit they would never ask " and if ur evading the check in staff......:-)
if ur going for a visa exempt entry
well, thats a different matter.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 am as u have a re entry permit they would never ask " and if ur evading the check in staff......:-)
if ur going for a visa exempt entry
well, thats a different matter.
Okay, once again just for you:

- I do have a re-entry permit, but they didn't ask me to show it to them and they didn't sift through my passport to find it. So they didn't know.
- There's NO avoiding check-in staff at Phnom Penh Airport, as you need an official print-out of your boarding pass, no matter what.

When I flew VietJet from Phnom Penh to Suvarnabhumi Airport the last time, on the other hand, the check-in guy asked me for how long I'm going to stay in Thailand. When I replied that I live in Thailand, he didn't make any effort to find my re-entry permit, so they might or might not just take your word for it.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Just flew PP to BKK some days ago. Was asked for a onward ticket by SkyAngkor. They wanted to see it.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In Phnom Penh they always asked me for an onward or return ticket when traveling to Bangkok, at least since COVID is over. Even when I return on the same airline, which is silly IMHO.

I either show it when I have one, or I show them a few 100$ notes which they will accept as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic