No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

Post by newsgatherer »

It really doesn't make any difference. If you stay off the roads after 7 p.m., that's when drunk drivers start showing up. During the day, traffic is slow. If you are an experienced local, the accident rate will be zero or less if you have a good scooter.

In my opinion, foreigners should not be allowed to drive anything here. I'm always surprised by the aggressive foreigners who drive SUVs here.

The know-it-alls with little experience here must stuff it IMHO.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I have a bunch of kids and one of them DETESTS wearing a helmet and has (conveniently) lost a number of them over the past year

While the others helmet up automatically this one won't if I am not looking and admonishing

It's a bit worrisome obviously but then again I was that age and invincible once too and there wasn't a helmet in sight then either
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 am In my opinion, foreigners should not be allowed to drive anything here. I'm always surprised by the aggressive foreigners who drive SUVs here.

The know-it-alls with little experience here must stuff it IMHO.
There is some truth in this, you absolutely cannot drive/ride like you do back in the West and not get into a pickle. If you're a tailgating impatient road rager, then good luck (pls wear a football shirt for your mugshot!). Better to spend some time observing the ropes and sheer chaos of it all if you just got off the boat. I would also suggest to start in traffic on a motorbike/scooter rather than a car. The latter tend to be very slow and annoying, yet mostly predictable. Mostly. But you need to ride a moto to really understand the utterly stupid things moto riders can and will do; then when you drive your car, you'll know what to expect & won't end up with a local on your bonnet.

However, I disagree with the statement as I put far more trust in my own driving/riding ability than Samnang thank you very much. I drive both a large SUV for longer trips & whenever I need house supplies that don't fit in a backpack, and also a small Harley because I am a fag. I have taken my son to and from school on the latter, with helmet, as in town traffic is barely above bicycle speed and it saves me a good 30 mins each way versus the car.

The only folks that p me off on the roads nowadays are the "I should be in Kampot" flip flop/shorts/wife beater gear riding the wrong way up st.51/63 without a helmet. You don't look cool, you look like a twat.
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Just forget the concept of "right of way". I ride a bicycle here - I wouldn't in my home city.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Rule #1 of Phnom Penh Traffic Club - Bicycle riders are lowest on the food chain! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I see very distinguished looking Limey, Frog and Gringo gents of 60 and older on 172 with cute well-educated looking Cambodian ladies of 23 who wear glasses, too.

What gives?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

And why are the world's most awful writers of schlock, like Will Self and Chuck Palahniuk all Caucasians? Hmmm?

Shouldn't there be a law allowing Hispanics and blacks to write rubbish, too?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Above two (2) posts, I believe you are relieving yourself on the wrong thread.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:34 pm If you ask the average Khmer, seemingly the primary reason for wearing a helmet is to avoid paying a fine. The rather fatalistic attitude towards safety meaning that road safety isn’t really a main thinking point. In fact, safety in general.

Which means the authorities have failed in delivering the safety message. The emphasis is on financial punishment, not avoidable injury prevention. And local helmets are generally trash, which serve the purpose of establishing an appearance of safety.

Im still confused in regards to a safety message, khmer see accidents daily from minor dings to fatal. They are fully aware of the dangers but for some reason choose not too. I think that people in cambodia are generally more exposed to images or first hand experience of fatalities

I mean it goes beyond basic common sense but maybe theres something cultural about it or might mess up their hair 😜
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Not to justify not wearing helmets or anything, but it wasn't that long ago when safety measures we take for granted today in Western countries were more of a suggestion.

You could smoke anywhere - if the kids in the back of the car whined about Dad smoking he'd tell them to open a bloody window. Nobody wore bike (bicycle) helmets, high visibility vests didn't exist, sunscreen was called suntan lotion and was actually oil designed to fry you and make you tan, you could throw the kids on the back of the ute or trailer and drive through town, driving drunk wasn't 'all that' bad as long you didn't think you were too pissed to drive, kids walked or rode their bike to school because people weren't worried about perverts snatching kids back then. Workplaces like farms, fishing boats, forestry etc were much more dangerous and with none of the regulations we have now because back then you were expected to use your common sense. School kids were allowed - even encouraged - to play rough, full-contact games during lunchtime at school and when the kids sometimes broke an arm or something it was just boys being boys. After school you could buy firecrackers and blow shit up - just don't blow your fingers off or chuck them at your brother ya silly wee bugger! Kids went to the river, lake, or beach and swam wherever they wanted, there were no lifeguards or 'swim between the flags' areas. We climbed trees and sometimes fell out of them. Life was more dangerous, but at the same time, people were ok with it.

I can understand the blasé attitude people have towards helmets, even though I'm a great believer in them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic