Pizza

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pizza

Post by John Bingham »

I've eaten in at 4P's before and thought the pizzas were fine. The one thing that annoyed me was that there were a lot of staff, and every time I went to the balcony for a smoke or the bathroom I had about 10 staff giving me the sampeah.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pootylicious
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pootylicious »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:02 pm Has anyone tried the Indian Pizzas? Roti crust Indian toppings - curry, etc. Baked until the roti was crispy.
Tried a few times
where?
it sounds pretty tasty.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stravaiger wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:54 pm As I posted early in the thread
I tried 4Ps in Saigon a couple of nights ago. I can't say I was impressed. I had the margherita as a test and found the cheese flavourless and the dough not quite 'pizza dough'. Fortunately I had a bottle of nuoc mam with me which I sprinkled liberally in lieu of anchovies, much to the bemusement of the kitchen staff.

The fusion experiments looked largely like category errors to me. 'Bo Kho pizza' etc. I'd rate the pizzas at Cioccolatini's Kampot higher.
Your friends probably chose the margherita as the least scary pizza option, as I did. I also mentioned that the pastas I tried were acceptably cooked, notably the fettuccine al salmone, and the bolognese was ok too. Not that they are likely to go back.

Their attempt at tiramisu was a joke. I just made a batch: it costs less than $1.50 a portion to make it properly (half price mascarpone at Mini C).

I'm prepared to believe that the Phnom Penh branch isn't as well managed as the Saigon outlets. On the upside the wine is slightly cheaper.
You're correct about their choice. He knows that if you overload a pizza it becomes a soggy mess, the tomato sauce can't cook and neither can the dough. A Margherita will reveal if their dough, sauce and cheese is any good, and their ovens are hot enough. Something went seriously wrong on that night.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:01 pm I've eaten in at 4P's before and thought the pizzas were fine. The one thing that annoyed me was that there were a lot of staff, and every time I went to the balcony for a smoke or the bathroom I had about 10 staff giving me the sampeah.
No smoking allowed on the balcony last Saturday.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Somebody should honcho a CEO meet up at 4Ps
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:45 am
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:01 pm I've eaten in at 4P's before and thought the pizzas were fine. The one thing that annoyed me was that there were a lot of staff, and every time I went to the balcony for a smoke or the bathroom I had about 10 staff giving me the sampeah.
No smoking allowed on the balcony last Saturday.
I had an enjoyable meal there recently with an excellent pizza, and I even hit the taster with some smooth Nepalese when the staff were otherwise busy.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

New place..Big Mama on bassac lane. Thought the pizza was excellent, around $10. Lots of pasta available. Vattanac beer on draft, $2.50. Good wine selection. Take the lift to the rooftop, good views, chilled vibe.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

After almost 10 years coming at Larrys i tried their pizza meatlover and was happy surprised, at 12 dollars its not cheap but its a real meatlover-one as i am also. Normally i dont eat pizzas in non-italian restaurants here (for romanos i made an exception), but for Larrys i will make next time also an exception !!!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm After almost 10 years coming at Larrys i tried their pizza meatlover and was happy surprised, at 12 dollars its not cheap but its a real meatlover-one as i am also. Normally i dont eat pizzas in non-italian restaurants here (for romanos i made an exception), but for Larrys i will make next time also an exception !!!
Larry's is reliable if you like a well filled pizza. It's not crispy but is a well made and filling meal. I have the Aloha, which is a Hawaiian with added chicken. That ought to further ruffle the feathers of the purists.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:42 pm After almost 10 years coming at Larrys i tried their pizza meatlover and was happy surprised, at 12 dollars its not cheap but its a real meatlover-one as i am also. Normally i dont eat pizzas in non-italian restaurants here (for romanos i made an exception), but for Larrys i will make next time also an exception !!!
Larry's never disappoints ... always make a point to stop by at least once a week. Was blown away by the chicken parmesan ... parkrikas too! Was the first real meal I had upon arrival to PP just about a year ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic