upcycling plastic

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

upcycling plastic

Post by truffledog »

work is for people who cant find truffles
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: upcycling plastic

Post by YaTingPom »

Wow, that is actually a great initiative!
Top job. :beer3:

I have a very dim view of all this eco BS that is prevalent here. These "biodegradable" food containers greenwashing is nonsense and it happens all over the world, it's ridiculous. There's a company in Cambodia that flogs this junk and it is no different to using styrofoam because it does not degrade in landfill and certainly not when it is lying on the ground, it just breaks down into smaller parts. They are often made of bio plastics and normal oil plastic (and not recycled either), but they conveniently forget to mention that.

Even the sugar cane waste (bagasse) is really bad for the environment as the land is cleared just for that purpose, and in fact it is the "waste" that is wanted to make this stuff. Plus of course the burning of the land after the season has finished.

Even recycled cardboard, which is probably the best eco product, is made with some new cardboard and all is imported. There is no home grown.

I see some businesses promoting the fact they use this stuff but only because they feel they need to to get business.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I tried to compost them "organic" and compostable plastic bags they are giving out in Italy. When I turned over the compost after 2 years they had barely decomposed.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

truffledog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm I tried to compost them "organic" and compostable plastic bags they are giving out in Italy. When I turned over the compost after 2 years they had barely decomposed.
It's compost you are supposed to do it weekly!
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:20 pm
truffledog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm I tried to compost them "organic" and compostable plastic bags they are giving out in Italy. When I turned over the compost after 2 years they had barely decomposed.
It's compost you are supposed to do it weekly!
Turning regularly may give faster results (i dont need). But its not the only way of composting successfully. I introduce air with a different method. Has been working for 20y+.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Styrofoam should be banned. They is no need for it. As a packaging material, formed cardboard can be used instead. For food to-go containers, again formed cardboard, and I believed there are products made from bamboo, corn and sugarcane fiber.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Forget the country (maybe Japan) ... but there is a new technology that takes plastic waste and mix with concrete and it makes roads that are more durable than traditional concrete. I try and did up the article.
EmpatheticUnicorn
Tourist
Tuvalu

Post by EmpatheticUnicorn »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am Wow, that is actually a great initiative!

I have a very dim view of all this eco BS that is prevalent here. These "biodegradable" food containers greenwashing is nonsense and it happens all over the world, it's ridiculous. There's a company in Cambodia that flogs this junk and it is no different to using styrofoam because it does not degrade in landfill and certainly not when it is lying on the ground, it just breaks down into smaller parts. They are often made of bio plastics and normal oil plastic (and not recycled either), but they conveniently forget to mention that.

Even the sugar cane waste (bagasse) is really bad for the environment as the land is cleared just for that purpose, and in fact it is the "waste" that is wanted to make this stuff. Plus of course the burning of the land after the season has finished.

Even recycled cardboard, which is probably the best eco product, is made with some new cardboard and all is imported. There is no home grown.

I see some businesses promoting the fact they use this stuff but only because they feel they need to to get business.
How is the land cleared just for the bagasse? The bagasse is the waste product after processing the sugar, not the sugar cane itself. The fibrous material burnt in neat little piles everywhere next to sugarcane juice vendors is not waste? It would be completely not sensical to grow a field of sugar cane just for the bagasse.

Sugar cane refineries gasify the bagasse waste product in order to generate the electricity that runs the refinery and in some cases actually feeds excess electricity back into the grid to provide additional energy.

There are also several other applications for the bagasse waste including it acting as a catalyst in chemical reactions, concrete, ceramics, and more.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I hope everyone reading the article gets, that every time you use those brooms, you create a massive amount of microplastic. I stick to the rice straw brooms. Made of waste as well, 100% bio degradable and don't last long (maybe ½ year to max 1 year) which guarantees the makers a reliable income. The last one I bought was of the last Ox cart, that still roams around Phnom Penh.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

EmpatheticUnicorn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:43 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:15 am Wow, that is actually a great initiative!

How is the land cleared just for the bagasse? The bagasse is the waste product after processing the sugar, not the sugar cane itself. The fibrous material burnt in neat little piles everywhere next to sugarcane juice vendors is not waste? It would be completely not sensical to grow a field of sugar cane just for the bagasse.

Sugar cane refineries gasify the bagasse waste product in order to generate the electricity that runs the refinery and in some cases actually feeds excess electricity back into the grid to provide additional energy.

There are also several other applications for the bagasse waste including it acting as a catalyst in chemical reactions, concrete, ceramics, and more.
That is actually changing.
There's a new breed of sugar cane produced to create better waste rather than good quality sugar cane!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic