A shower thought that I don't think many expats give much consideration

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A shower thought that I don't think many expats give much consideration

Post by BklynBoy »

every recent immigrant population gets shitted on by the previous one (for most part) . I think it's inclusive to accomodate people. The situation w/ the mother happened like in the 90's. You are probably correct that it was translated in Spanish but I still feel it's pretty resourceful
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
InkkieTime
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by InkkieTime »

I think this is a great point!

One thing I often think about is: "What if I didn't speak English?" I imagine that a lot of European people are assumed to speak English when they do not. On my recent trip to Cambodia, I noticed a French man struggling to speak English as he was trying exchange money. But what other option does the French person have? He struggled with his English, but I assume he could not speak Khmer at all. I'm from America, and if I had to speak French in an Asian country in order to do basically anything, I think I would be pretty pissed.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

Was the laundry girl good looking??
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

English is the lingua franca, just as French was a few hundred years ago.

Sure an Italian can learn German, French, Portuguese. Spanish, Czech, Dutch to travel Europe. Or just learn English.

When Korean Japanese and Thai get together, especially businessmen, they speak in English.

Being a native English speaker is both a blessing and a curse.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I have had similar experiences in Japan.

As my Japanese improved, such experiences became less frequent.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

In larger cities most people speak English because there are many tourists. In the smaller ones, not so much. In the countryside, barely.

Cambodia gains a lot of money out of tourism.

Speaking English, or Chinese, doesn't make you money. But it does give you many opportunities to make money.

And besides that, it's actually really difficult to learn the Khmer language. Why? Because there are barely any resources. I can't study it from a book and I can't study it online. So I would need to pay for a tutor.

I'm pretty sure if a Khmer person would develop some kind of Rosetta Stone/Duolingo for their own language, they could make tons of money.

Just by using Duolingo I can understand basic conversations in 7 different languages. So, come on, put in some effort and put yourself on the map.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Feel this ... my wife has complete conversations with me in Khmer knowing full well I do not understand ... I guess she assumes I will eventually catch up, some way, some how. #sighAF
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

She’s probably read some of your posts and concluded that understanding isn’t exactly your forte. I’m guessing that there is little expectation of you catching up, though.

Not that it matters that much. The world over, married couples have conversations in a mutual, shared language and still manage not to understand each other. Just listen to the tone in her voice, and heed the reaction of the hairs on the back of your neck.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:13 am Feel this ... my wife has complete conversations with me in Khmer knowing full well I do not understand ... I guess she assumes I will eventually catch up, some way, some how. #sighAF
Don't bother.

They only talk about food shopping, LV bags and what a family member has been doing.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Growing up as a kid everywhere we went in Europe people spoke English. They even speak it to each other to communicate - not every Euro speaks multiple languages.
In business (as well as airlines, shipping etc) every one uses English to communicate.

Native English speakers have the disadvantage of people wanting to speak to them in English and going through life not needing to learn another language.

I make no apologies for not knowing other languages.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic