How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How old were you when you first visited Cambodia?

Under 18
3%
19-24
16%
25-29
14%
30-34
21%
35-39
10%
40-44
10%
45-49
3%
50-54
9%
55-59
7%
60+
7%

Total votes: 58
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

Post by phuketrichard »

Seems as travel became easier thru the late 90's early 2000's, younger people where travelling to Asia
Where as back in the 60, 70's, most Americans that travelled, sledom got further than Mexico, the Caribbeans and possible Europe
While Europeans hit Greece/Turkey/ Morocco and the adventurous overland to India
Australians?? Bali?

When i first flew to europe ( 1970) it was a prop plane an took over 12 hours to Reykjavík for a 2 day stop over than another 6 or so to Luxemburg.. was like $140 one way
Now in same time, one can travel by jet from New York to Bangkok, although a bit more $$$ :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Two voted under 18?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

I first came to Cambodia in January 1999 for a four-day visa run from Bangkok when I was 34. Previously, I had done numerous visa runs to Penang and Kota Bharu in Malaysia via Hat Yai, then made several trips to Vientiane (via Nong Khai) starting in December 1996, including checking out Vang Vieng prior to it becoming a party town. I could see that it would become a party town though, and didn't return until after the crackdown on bars in 2012.

Anyway, flew to Phnom Penh and back with Thai Airways. Stayed at the Cloud 9 Guesthouse in a room on a raft on the big lake, Boeung Kak. Don't recall doing much, other than going to Central Market, sampling some dirt weed, eating some tourist food (banana pancakes, fried rice and a happy pizza or two) and trying unsuccessfully to use the internet in some "cybercafe". Of course, I had to go to the Thai Embassy twice.

I didn't return to Cambodia until 2008, when I left HCMC and lived in PP for about 8 months before moving back to Vientiane for another 4 years, followed by Vung Tau for seven years. Now, I'm in Kampot after a brief 2.5 months in Pattaya. Have been here about a year.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

sigmoid wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:43 pm I first came to Cambodia in January 1999 for a four-day visa run from Bangkok when I was 34. Previously, I had done numerous visa runs to Penang and Kota Bharu in Malaysia via Hat Yai, then made several trips to Vientiane (via Nong Khai) starting in December 1996, including checking out Vang Vieng prior to it becoming a party town. I could see that it would become a party town though, and didn't return until after the crackdown on bars in 2012.

Anyway, flew to Phnom Penh and back with Thai Airways. Stayed at the Cloud 9 Guesthouse in a room on a raft on the big lake, Boeung Kak. Don't recall doing much, other than going to Central Market, sampling some dirt weed, eating some tourist food (banana pancakes, fried rice and a happy pizza or two) and trying unsuccessfully to use the internet in some "cybercafe". Of course, I had to go to the Thai Embassy twice.

I didn't return to Cambodia until 2008, when I left HCMC and lived in PP for about 8 months before moving back to Vientiane for another 4 years, followed by Vung Tau for seven years. Now, I'm in Kampot after a brief 2.5 months in Pattaya. Have been here about a year.
Favorite???
darkhat
Tourist

Post by darkhat »

Bought a one-way ticket here when I was 19. That was in 2007. Best choice I ever made
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:46 am Seems as travel became easier thru the late 90's early 2000's, younger people where travelling to Asia
Where as back in the 60, 70's, most Americans that travelled, sledom got further than Mexico, the Caribbeans and possible Europe
While Europeans hit Greece/Turkey/ Morocco and the adventurous overland to India
Australians?? Bali?

When i first flew to europe ( 1970) it was a prop plane an took over 12 hours to Reykjavík for a 2 day stop over than another 6 or so to Luxemburg.. was like $140 one way.
Now in same time, one can travel by jet from New York to Bangkok, although a bit more $$$ :-)
Value of $140 from 1970 to 2024 ... $140 in 1970 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,112.84 today..So it's cheaper now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:19 am
sigmoid wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:43 pm I first came to Cambodia in January 1999 for a four-day visa run from Bangkok when I was 34. Previously, I had done numerous visa runs to Penang and Kota Bharu in Malaysia via Hat Yai, then made several trips to Vientiane (via Nong Khai) starting in December 1996, including checking out Vang Vieng prior to it becoming a party town. I could see that it would become a party town though, and didn't return until after the crackdown on bars in 2012.

Favorite???
Well, the only constant in life is change. Although I enjoyed living in those places for a while to some degree, if a place starts getting too popular or "developed". it's time to move on. For example, I haven't been in Bangkok since 2016 and have no interest in going there again.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

InkkieTime wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:39 pm Of the people who visited Cambodia at 24 or younger, I'd be curious to know your reason for visiting Cambodia. Was it for vacation, for a study abroad opportunity, to visit relatives, or something else?
Came first on vacation at 23. Moved here at 24, fancied a change and the visa situation compared to neighbouring countries helped make the decision
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic