Phone noise

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Phone noise

Post by Gazzy »

One of my of peeves is people sat near me, in a cafe watching irritatingly loud videos on their phones. No consideration for others, no headphones. Is there a protocol here?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phone noise

Post by John Bingham »

The protocol is being a selfish annoying cunt, it exists internationally.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:12 pm One of my of peeves is people sat near me, in a cafe watching irritatingly loud videos on their phones. No consideration for others, no headphones. Is there a protocol here?
Common occurrence in many places, not just Cambodia. Get on any bus or train in the UK and you'll be lucky to have a peaceful journey. Seems to be mostly, but not exclusively, a young people thing. Most older people seem to be a lot more consideration. Sometimes I play some music on my phone, not realising that my bluetooth headphones aren't connected, and the music blares out of the speakers for a few seconds while I freak out and panic to turn it down/off.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Go to India for a week and when you return to Cambodia you'll think you're in Japan.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

It's not limited to music/videos. It seems the only way to conduct a phone call nowadays is to hold it in public, on speakerphone. I echo JB's sentiments, that it is unfortunately limited to selfish cunts who are plenty in number.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Gazzy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:12 pm One of my of peeves is people sat near me, in a cafe watching irritatingly loud videos on their phones. No consideration for others, no headphones. Is there a protocol here?
Get a Cell Phone jammer compatable with 4G/ 3G/2G, very handy and discreet,
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cabron wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:03 pm
Get a Cell Phone jammer compatable with 4G/ 3G/2G, very handy and discreet,
A friend got one of those a few years ago. Could be fun but very much illegal.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

With all that is going on in the world, it's a privilege to sit down in a comfy chair and worry about a bit of noise.

Or a curse :unknown:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm With all that is going on in the world, it's a privilege to sit down in a comfy chair and worry about a bit of noise.

That depends.
Sitting with colleagues just the other day, talking about various training issues over a coffee, when some oik planted themselves within earshot, and proceeded to have a loud conversation over the phone speaker.
No matter how interesting I wish my own dramas are, I’ve little desire to broadcast them to the world at large. Has narcissism replaced the god botherer type?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:05 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:25 pm With all that is going on in the world, it's a privilege to sit down in a comfy chair and worry about a bit of noise.

That depends.
Sitting with colleagues just the other day, talking about various training issues over a coffee, when some oik planted themselves within earshot, and proceeded to have a loud conversation over the phone speaker.
No matter how interesting I wish my own dramas are, I’ve little desire to broadcast them to the world at large. Has narcissism replaced the god botherer type?
If you don't want any noise I'm certain you know a venue that guarantees this experience. In a more common setting people will make noise.

Doesn't seem like a huge issue. Though I'm sure everyone can come up with examples when noise annoyed them..
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic