Valentine's Day: Cambodia youth told to avoid 'inappropriate' activities

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Valentine's Day: Cambodia youth told to avoid 'inappropriate' activities

Post by hanno »

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Valentine's Day: Cambodia youth told to avoid 'inappropriate' activities

Post by xandreu »

The thing I like about Valentine's Day in Cambodia is that it's all about love in general, not just romantic love between couples. I have a teacher friend whose students bought a cake into class to give to her with 'Happy Valentines Day Teacher" written on it. Kids are also encouraged to send messages of love to their parents or other members of their family.

Valentine's day can be a bit depressing for single people in western countries, but here it deals with that by making it more broad, covering everyone and anyone who may 'love' you, or you may 'love' for whatever reason.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Remember: No Kikilu!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Wasn't there an alarming report recently, that most people in Cambodia ignore this commercialized event?
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ressl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:30 am Wasn't there an alarming report recently, that most people in Cambodia ignore this commercialized event?
I am sure it is widely ignored in the sticks, but there were plenty of heart-shaped balloons and roses evident on Riverside last night.

But I agree: people seem to see it differently here. Here at the hotel, the department heads served the staff in the canteen, one restaurant I went to had heart-shaped pink bread rolls, and I got "Happy Valentine's" messages from very straight Khmer male friends.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:08 am From the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68292612
Nobody in the comments above has addressed the content of the government "advice/admonishment" to the youth of Cambodia...

I find the childishness of Cambodian patriarchal condescension really almost as annoying as it is hilariously behind the times...

What would you, or the typical young person of today, (or even twenty or thirty years ago), think if the British or US or Aussie government publicly "warned" young citizens to avoid living freely on Valentine's Day? Kids in the West would just laugh and give the government the finger, yeah..?

This place is so stiff and archaic with bullshit old-hat dumb-shit that nobody takes seriously. . .

A lot of young people today in Cambodia are sexually liberated, and they are not also working boys or girls ...

Good for them, too. They don't have to buy this idiotic bull...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

orichá wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:56 pm

Nobody in the comments above has addressed the content of the government "advice/admonishment" to the youth of Cambodia...

I find the childishness of Cambodian patriarchal condescension really almost as annoying as it is hilariously behind the times...

What would you, or the typical young person of today, (or even twenty or thirty years ago), think if the British or US or Aussie government publicly "warned" young citizens to avoid living freely on Valentine's Day? Kids in the West would just laugh and give the government the finger, yeah..?

This place is so stiff and archaic with bullshit old-hat dumb-shit that nobody takes seriously. . .

A lot of young people today in Cambodia are sexually liberated, and they are not also working boys or girls ...

What? Isn’t this what christians and evangelist preach in the west every day? No premarital sex.

I guess you’re reading into this article more than what I am.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:12 pm

What? Isn’t this what christians and evangelist preach in the west every day? No premarital sex.

Uhhm... Christians in America are not synonymous with the government...

... And Pastor Billy Graham Jr. most definitely does gorgeous blonde hoes on his big fat motor yacht, or don't ya know, yeah?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

orichá wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:57 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:12 pm

Uhhm... Christians in America are not synonymous with the government...

... And Pastor Billy Graham Jr. most definitely does gorgeous blonde hoes on his big fat motor yacht, or don't ya know, yeah?
LOL, apparently you’re not familiar with American politics.

That’s why they are hypocrites.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

So, is every topic going to turn into you telling us how much you hate it here? From pollution to Valentine's? Maybe time to pack up and leave, no?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic