Another idiotic comment by Trump

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Another idiotic comment by Trump

Post by Alex »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:47 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:07 pm Well the thing is that he does have a point. Since the end of the cold war in the early 1990s, many European countries have subjected their militaries to an endless series of budget cuts. That wouldn't have worked without relying on Uncle Sam coming to their rescue, unconditionally and in a heartbeat - which has been a pretty selfish position.
So when since the Cold War has Uncle Sam come to the rescue? Do the former Easter Bloc territories of Yugoslavia count? The only time Article 5 was evoked was after 9-11, which meant other NATO countries helping the US in their "War on terror".

The European NATO countries have already bumped up their defence budgets. I gave a source above. There is no "bill to pay". The 2% requirements only come into force this year.
The problem with Trump encouraging Russia to attack is that not only does he not understand NATO funding, he doesn't understand the basic nature of a defence agreement. If Russia attacks any NATO country the US is obligated to attack Russia -just like the other countries did when they helped the US in Afghanistan and Iraq.
I didn't say that Uncle Sam has come to the rescue, I said that many European NATO countries selfishly (down-) sized their militaries, relying on Uncle Sam to come to their rescue if need be. Besides being an American, I also happen to be a citizen of a European country that "excelled" in doing just that for many years - until Trump scared the shit out of them when he was president.

I did acknowledge that this was a wake-up call that had a noticeable effect on defense spending across Europe. Unfortunately, the risks have increased at the same time, so whether they are now doing enough remains questionable in my opinion.

In any case, Trump’s approach clearly had an effect, so I don't blame him for trying to keep up the pressure.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Russia does an excellent job of keeping up the pressure.

Ukrainian military spending is up 500, over 20% GDP. Finland and other countries on the border with Russia in the double digits.

Trump’s rhetoric only helps.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:12 pm Russia does an excellent job of keeping up the pressure.

Ukrainian military spending is up 500, over 20% GDP. Finland and other countries on the border with Russia in the double digits.

Yea I think the whole NATO vs Russia / Iran thing has more to do with it than Trump acting all high and mighty in front of his reality show fans.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:12 pm Russia does an excellent job of keeping up the pressure.

It’s not just his rhetoric. It’s his track record of saying one thing, doing another.
On the upside, unemployment among some minorities is being tackled, there are some newly implemented prisoner rehabilitations schemes. Stuff not seen since the 18th century, and scrap metal exports are up. That should keep those obsessed with stats happy.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pointing out it was a joke is killin'.....
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

No worries. China is watching closely. Namely how long it takes the West (aka the US) to lose interest in supplying Ukraine. Dress rehearsal in how long China has to last before they give up on Taiwan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic