Entering+traveling in Cambodia with Vietnam motorbike

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Entering+traveling in Cambodia with Vietnam motorbike

Post by sigmoid »

A friend of mine still lives in Viet Nam. He's thinking of traveling during the upcoming Tet holiday by riding his motorbike to Ha Tien and crossing into Cambodia with it from there.

Does anyone have any up-to-date info or experience about doing this? I'm sure all his paperwork, license, etc. are legitimate, but he's looking for a "definitive answer" about the rules/regulations/policies of doing it, and can't seem to find it despite having lived in the region for decades and being all internet-savvy.

Thanks in advance for any insights :salut: :good:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Entering+traveling in Cambodia with Vietnam motorbike

Post by phuketrichard »

is must be ok, as used to see bikes in Kep/kampot with viet plates an often see them for sale on the kampot FB page
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BongKingKong
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BongKingKong »

If you want to be 100% legal ask for : "temporary import papers" for the bike. That way you are legal for 1 month.
Kuyavic
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Kuyavic »

Used to cross the KH/VN border many times over the years with my VN plated Scooter, mostly at Ha Tien. There was never any mention or question asked about the motorbike. Until December 23 when stamping out of Cambodia the officer said "you have motorbike? Go over there to the customs window". So I presented the blue card to the customs lady who took a look and said OK.
When I returned mid January from VN at the same Ha Tien border, when stamping in at Cambodia Immigration, again I was sent to the customs window. This time the blue card was not enough, she asked about proof of rental or a sales contract. I said I bought the bike second hand about 5 years ago and have nothing in writing. That was a good enough answer and the very nice customs lady let me go.
I wonder how it will go next time.
Just another example of how the bureaucracy allover the world are ever tightening the screws..
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

BongKingKong wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 am If you want to be 100% legal ask for : "temporary import papers" for the bike. That way you are legal for 1 month.
Thanks for your response.

Do you get these papers when crossing at the border or at some office in advance?
BongKingKong
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by BongKingKong »

At the border but you have to ask.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Kuyavic wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am
Used to cross the KH/VN border many times over the years with my VN plated Scooter, mostly at Ha Tien. There was never any mention or question asked about the motorbike. Until December 23 when stamping out of Cambodia the officer said "you have motorbike? Go over there to the customs window". So I presented the blue card to the customs lady who took a look and said OK.
When I returned mid January from VN at the same Ha Tien border, when stamping in at Cambodia Immigration, again I was sent to the customs window. This time the blue card was not enough, she asked about proof of rental or a sales contract. I said I bought the bike second hand about 5 years ago and have nothing in writing. That was a good enough answer and the very nice customs lady let me go.
So, my friend's experience was basically, the same as yours. He and another guy were crossing at Ha Tien. They parked and were at the stamp out of Vietnam window, when they were told to go back to customs to deal with the bikes. They to show the blue card and a bill of sale, which they both had, thanks to the info you provided above. Then, they got stamped out and had to walk the bikes for some section of the way out, then their passports were checked for the exit stamp several times before they reached the border/no-man's-land. I guess the same or nothing happened on the Cambodian side, as he didn't even mention it. They returned to Vietnam after a few days in Kampot via Ha Tien without incident.

It may be worth noting that they both have TRCs (Temporary Residence Card).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic