divorced years ago but want to get married in cambodia... have a question

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: divorced years ago but want to get married in cambodia... have a question

Post by khmerhamster »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 pm You seem fixated on 3 years. As I understood it, after 3 years, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship, though you are not guaranteed to qualify nor be granted it. You've got three years to get your ducks lined up. But you must be aware of the limitations of the country, and its administration.

It would be interesting to know what level of Khmer language skills are required, though. Especially from the point of literacy.
One of the people I know who was successful has excellent spoken and written and Khmer, another has only basic spoken Khmer and can just about write their name.
I haven't seen the test myself, but my understanding is that it isn't too pressing.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am im from usa. i want to marry her. also marriage is a faster path to become a cabodian citizen.

I think you have to give that one some more thoughts.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:47 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 pm You seem fixated on 3 years. As I understood it, after 3 years, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship, though you are not guaranteed to qualify nor be granted it. You've got three years to get your ducks lined up. But you must be aware of the limitations of the country, and its administration.

It would be interesting to know what level of Khmer language skills are required, though. Especially from the point of literacy.
One of the people I know who was successful has excellent spoken and written and Khmer, another has only basic spoken Khmer and can just about write their name.
I haven't seen the test myself, but my understanding is that it isn't too pressing.
I know one expat who obtained citizenship: has been here for many years, married with kids, extensive business interests, fluent Khmer.

I remember him complaining that he was still treated like a tourist, being charged the barang rate for entry at museums despite showing them his Cambodian passport. This was several years ago so things may have changed.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Stravaiger wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:56 am
khmerhamster wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:47 am

I know one expat who obtained citizenship: has been here for many years, married with kids, extensive business interests, fluent Khmer.

I remember him complaining that he was still treated like a tourist, being charged the barang rate for entry at museums despite showing them his Cambodian passport. This was several years ago so things may have changed.
That's a bit sad carrying it around. "Look, I am Cambodian!" :ROFL:

No, you're not mate.

It's free/cheap for Cambodians not westerners with Cambodian passports!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You just need a Certificate of non-impediment/ single status from your country, don't need proof of the divorce, just proof that you are not currently married. You also need a letter from your Embassy.

I know several foreigners who have obtained Citizenship via marriage the past few years, the process is alot more transparent now, as long as you are organised, have all the necessary supporting documentation, and can pass the language assessment there is no tea money involved. Worth noting though that Citizenship applications are temporarily suspended whilst they are investigating corruption and "cleaning house".
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

How much do you think they would want if I dont know khmer but have everything else in order
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:14 pm How much do you think they would want if I dont know khmer but have everything else in order
20-60k.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

Guess i better try to learn more words
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

US Citizenship test might be a bit easier. Only 100 potential questions the officer can choose from. Memorize the answers. Plus understanding everything answered on the application form.

Such as explaining what does it mean to be charged with a crime? What does it mean to serve in the military?

There are yearly books to pass the US citizenship exam. Plus YouTube videos of success (and failures) with explanations.

Couldn’t find anything about passing the Cambodian citizenship exam, unfortunately.

Good luck!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am also marriage is a faster path to become a cabodian citizen.
Why do you want to be a Cambodian citizen?
Is this a wind up?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic