Sending booze Cambodia >>> USA?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Sending booze Cambodia >>> USA?

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I want to send some Okinawa bourbon to my Dad in Texas ... can it be done without any monkey business?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Sending booze Cambodia >>> USA?

Post by Freightdog »

Ok. I’ll bite.

You’ve got a bottle of booze in Cambodia, that’s originally from Okinawa, that you want to send to Texas?

(Filling in the gaps based on sparse information, obviously)
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Freightdog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 pm Ok. I’ll bite.

You’ve got a bottle of booze in Cambodia, that’s originally from Okinawa, that you want to send to Texas?

(Filling in the gaps based on sparse information, obviously)
Yes sir
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Most likely will be emptied by the custom officers before they stumble home for the day.

Why don't you just order it online within the US and have it delivered to your dad?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:46 am Most likely will be emptied by the custom officers before they stumble home for the day.

Why don't you just order it online within the US and have it delivered to your dad?
Not yet stocked/imported to USA (last I checked). Kind of a special brewer. Nihon Sakaya is the shop in Phnom Penh. But man, their booze is heavenly delicious.

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

The courier companies and postal services won't accept it. Some of this is due to Customs regulations, the duty-free and licencing exemptions for when you carry it yourself don't apply. What also doesn't apply is the exemption from the Dangerous Goods regulations which allows you to take spirits on a plane as baggage. Anything with a flashpoint of less than 60C is class 3 dangerous goods and Bourbon normally comes in around 28C.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

In case anyone was wondering what spirits you can take https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea ... -2.3.a.pdf
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve not really taken the OP seriously. But to follow up on a previous comment-
a generic note wrote: is important to note that not all courier companies will ship whiskey internationally. For example, DHL, TNT and UPS will not ship packages that contain whiskey within the content. Each courier has specific rules and requirements for different shipments and services
I’d be interested to know what the final bill comes to, compared to the cost of a bottle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic