usa electronics in cambodian outlets ...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

usa electronics in cambodian outlets ...

Post by Zyzz »

so when i went in november i took this adapter with me id plug device into then plug into a cambodian outlet ... my phone charged fine but i had this electric razor with me which was pretty old anyway but in decent working condtion and after using for about a minute it got very hot and almost started smoking and just broke down. i dont really care about that but im moving there soon and im bringing more expensive electronics like a laptop and a video game system so i definitely dont want those to break down. what can i do to prevent this from happening ... thank you.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: usa electronics in cambodian outlets ...

Post by stevenjb »

Zyzz wrote:so when i went in november i took this adapter with me id plug device into then plug into a cambodian outlet ... my phone charged fine but i had this electric razor with me which was pretty old anyway but in decent working condtion and after using for about a minute it got very hot and almost started smoking and just broke down. i dont really care about that but im moving there soon and im bringing more expensive electronics like a laptop and a video game system so i definitely dont want those to break down. what can i do to prevent this from happening ... thank you.
Motors that were designed to run on 60Hz will fail on 50Hz

Edit: additionally, most (USA) electronic device chargers are auto-voltage switching 120-220v. Read the details on the charger adapter to confirm.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Old electric razor: Have you switched the Voltage before using? If not (forgotten, lack of switch), it is surprising that it lastet for a minute. Don't forget: even the plug is the same, the voltage in USA is 110V, while in Cambodia is something between 170 and 240V (depends on the time and a lot of other factors). So called "travel adapters" are usually fine with 100V to 240V, while especially old devices use a conventional transformer inside, that has a fixed ratio and therefore a small range of input Voltage (100V to 120V for example),so ALWAYS check, before using
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

You will need a transformer if your equipment cannot handle 220 volts. Expensive and heavy as hell. I have a few in my house as I bought a lot of kitchen equipment from the USA.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

hanno wrote:You will need a transformer if your equipment cannot handle 220 volts. Expensive and heavy as hell. I have a few in my house as I bought a lot of kitchen equipment from the USA.
Cambodian power runs at 240 volts. How does the 220 volt electronics do over the long run? Do they burn out faster? Or last just as long as in Europe?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

As mentioned above: in Cambodia you have a wide range of voltages. Peaks measured in the last 5 years in Phnom Penh were 90V to 298V. The average in my room is 200V, while in the company one of the 3 phases is 210V the other 2 are 235V.
A device made for 220V will run infinite on 230V (Germany changed a few decades ago and no devices burned down), most should be fine on 240V as well. For super sensitive devices there are Voltage stabilizers, which are basically an adjustable Transformator with a motor (not kidding, we use some of them in the company to compensate voltages if they go below 180V for some devices that struggle with such low voltages)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
NitNoi
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by NitNoi »

Mains voltage is not precise. Supply authorities normally quote +10% to -20% around the nominal voltage.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic