Windows and curtains open or closed?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Windows and curtains open or closed?

Post by xandreu »

If / When you stay home for a long period in the daytime, do you keep your windows and/or curtains closed in an attempt to keep your place a little cooler, or leave them open? I tend to keep both the windows and curtains closed and sit in front of a fan, but I'm never quite sure if that's any better than keeping everything open in an attempt to get a little natural breeze flowing.

What's the best window/curtain combo in your opinion?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Windows and curtains open or closed?

Post by Spigzy »

Trees. Currently can leave windows closed, curtains open - and both front/back door open (mozzy guards closed) for the breeze.

But previously in more exposed areas I much preferred windows open/curtains open + breeze option. If there is no airflow, a fan will warm up the room if my old physics teacher had anything to say about it.

I dislike aircon entirely.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

If you have a high ceiling and an opening at both ends of the property then keeping both open will allow the hot air that rises to vent out of the property. and the through flow of air will assist this process. In an enclosed situation the fan will simply recirculate the air.

Curtains will reduce the flow of air and thus would only be beneficial in keeping direct sunlight out of the property but, if the property has a sufficient throughflow of air then the heating effect of direct sunlight should be negated by the heated air being vented due to the natural breeze created by keeping windows open at both end of the property.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Open ‘cept when afternoon sun hits. Then close drapes. 29-30c … even on hot days. I also prefer fan over AC, but wife loves to run the AC at night.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Ideally what you want is a backdraft. But if you don't have that and with open curtains and in direct sunlight, your apartment will be warmer than outside. So keeping the curtains closed would be preferable. But arguably have limited effectiveness. Maybe better to invest in a larger fan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic