Do you drink and drive? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you drink and drive?

1. Never.
29%
2. Rarely.
10%
3. Occasionally.
10%
4. Often.
27%
5. I used to but not anymore.
24%

Total votes: 41
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Do you drink and drive? Poll.

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I drive better drunk than you do sober
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:22 am I drive better drunk than you do sober
Unless you are going 20 kph, I doubt that.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

After a serious accident due to drink driving, never since. (Flipped a car 4 times and was lucky to escape uninjured.) It was the moment that rattled my soul enough to realize that I wasn’t invincible. Avoided gaol and all other negatives that could have befallen me. Now, I walk or get a taxi (or versions thereof) and won’t get in/on a car/bike with someone who’s been drinking.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I used to back in the day. Nothing too reckless, in fact on the odd occasion I did it was just to get my car home and I was paranoid about my speed, forgetting to indicate, drifting across lanes etc because I didn't want to attract attention and get stopped and lose my license, so I was the model driver. Well, not really because I was drunk, but I was much more careful and focused than I'd usually be.
I was a passenger more times than I can remember with drunk drivers though, being absolutely stupid, and it's more good luck than good management that I wasn't involved in anything where people were killed.

I did have friends and guys I knew get killed, lose their licenses, and go to prison for killing people while driving drunk though, and that was a big wake-up call for me.

Now, I have a personal rule. If I'm driving I won't even have one beer. It's not worth losing my license for it.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

What’s interesting is that there are a number of admissions of doing what many would judge as entirely irresponsible. I’m not saying it was okay. I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s where drink driving wasn’t illegal. It was “normal”. I was never more scared when I stacked my car. And that was enough to stop me doing it. Do I have a drink and drive? I'll have a jar, but the drive from my local to home is 0.75 miles. If I have 2. I walk. 3 years ago. I’d have 6-8 pints and drive. I won’t now.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hmph wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:21 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:22 am I drive better drunk than you do sober
Driving too slowly can cause as many, or more, accidents than road users who speed excessively

But yes. Drink drive in Cambodia because the fucking state of some tuk tuk drivers plastered drunk and high on speed and taking turns on the wrong side of the road is TERRIFYING and I trust drunk me better than an army of those cretins
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

I always crash on my moto if I am not drunk.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:18 am
hmph wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:21 am
Driving too slowly can cause as many, or more, accidents than road users who speed excessively

But yes. Drink drive in Cambodia because the fucking state of some tuk tuk drivers plastered drunk and high on speed and taking turns on the wrong side of the road is TERRIFYING and I trust drunk me better than an army of those cretins
I remember seeing an expat get out of a TukTuk and shout at the driver who attempted to step of his steed and fell over. He was so drunk he could barely lift his head up to see. He tried to kick start it and every time he fell off. It was highly amusing.

The police turned up, well I say turned up but they were already at the junction and were also watching him and laughing, and eventually made him get off. In the end a cop moved the TukTuk and they poured the driver in to sleep it off. He was still there the next day, keys in the ignition!
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

I don't, but my tuk tuk driver probably does
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Only on days that end in Y.