Another overcharge when paying with PayPal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Another overcharge when paying with PayPal

Post by xandreu »

I've just purchased some goods from the US using PayPal. Total amount of the order was $229.98, however, $240.09 was deducted from my ABA.

Not the first time this has happened when paying through PayPal using ABA. I'm not too bothered about $10 to be honest, it's just that it's impossible to find out how or why or where the extra $10 went. When making the purchase, there's no notification from anyone anywhere that says you may / will have more than this deducted from your account.

According to PayPal, I paid the correct amount, $229.98, which was billed in USD, so I can't see how it can be anything to do with the exchange rate, and when I download the transaction receipt from ABA, it just says the amount deducted - $240.09, with no reference to why or where there's a $10.11 difference.

Seems to happen all the time. Anyone know why? Is it anything to do with PayPal? I mean, is it better just pay directly using your card? And why is it so difficult to find out who took it?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Another overcharge when paying with PayPal

Post by ItWasntMe »

4% fee for currency conversion, is likely what's hitting you.

ASIA PACIFIC:
Bhutan, Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Indonesia, Laos, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, New Zealand, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tonga
4.0%
https://www.paypal.com/sg/webapps/mpp/p ... t-currency
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

PayPal does charge a cross border fee.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Well 4% of $229.98 is $9.20 which is $1 away, maybe a mixture of conversion and cross border fee. Although it doesn't make sense to me to charge a currency conversion fee when you're converting between USD an er... USD. Unless they convert it to riel and back to USD again.

It's not the amount that's a bit annoying, I would have bought it anyway, it's just that it's not mentioned anywhere both before you make the transaction, or after. I guess you could say you should check the Ts & Cs first, but would it be so difficult for PayPal to include it on the final page before submitting?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

xandreu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm Well 4% of $229.98 is $9.20 which is $1 away, maybe a mixture of conversion and cross border fee. Although it doesn't make sense to me to charge a currency conversion fee when you're converting between USD an er... USD. Unless they convert it to riel and back to USD again.

It's not the amount that's a bit annoying, I would have bought it anyway, it's just that it's not mentioned anywhere both before you make the transaction, or after. I guess you could say you should check the Ts & Cs first, but would it be so difficult for PayPal to include it on the final page before submitting?
An amateur guess is that it's converted to riel before going into ABA, where it's eventually converted back to USD into your USD account at their own rate.
But there could be some other fee I have no idea, I just know they like their fees.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That sucks, another reason not to use PayPal. Using my ABA cards directly for USD payments to foreign merchants that charge in USD, there's never any "currency conversion" fee, as nothing needs to be converted.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:19 pm I've just purchased some goods from the US using PayPal. Total amount of the order was $229.98, however, $240.09 was deducted from my ABA.

Not the first time this has happened when paying through PayPal using ABA. I'm not too bothered about $10 to be honest, it's just that it's impossible to find out how or why or where the extra $10 went. When making the purchase, there's no notification from anyone anywhere that says you may / will have more than this deducted from your account.

According to PayPal, I paid the correct amount, $229.98, which was billed in USD, so I can't see how it can be anything to do with the exchange rate, and when I download the transaction receipt from ABA, it just says the amount deducted - $240.09, with no reference to why or where there's a $10.11 difference.

Seems to happen all the time. Anyone know why? Is it anything to do with PayPal? I mean, is it better just pay directly using your card? And why is it so difficult to find out who took it?
ya, I unfortunately have to use Paypal when dealing with a few companies as their cc payment gateway doesn't cover Cambodia

Their (Paypal's) conversion rate + fee is so shit that it marks up the transaction nearly 10% above standard conversion rates
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

All Paypal fees should be visible on Paypal app. Most likely it's the ABA taking extra for some reason.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

I avoid Paypal like the plague
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic