Die with zero

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Die with zero

Post by Freightdog »

pissontheroof wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:55 pm I just want to get the paperwork checked and “. virtuality “ approved
to avoid a waste of anything before going all the way down there with it .
For the stamp .
I no longer find it completely incredible, but do you realise that the amount of time spent expressing why you don’t want to do stuff, can’t do stuff, or responding to other topics are all a diversion from getting the important things done? Like registering your son’s existence, and therefore Legitimising any claim he might have to any benefits resulting from being related to you.

Instead of finding distractions, why not start an actual topic of your own instead of attaching to someone else’s thread, for your son’s documentation.
Explain where you are having difficulties, referenced to the actual documents/forms that you need to complete.
Then, you might attract some specific answers or guidance that could alleviate your anxieties about stuff that you’re not addressing.

Currently, anyone that might have had an interest in helping is probably put off from being involved because it’s starting off as a shit show.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:35 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:54 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:45 pm I am confused. You don’t want to spend money on NGOs, lawyers, or others to make your inheritance secure (as possible in Cambodia).

Yet you want an agent (or better an expat) to magically do all this work for free? You have a messy situation requiring lots of work. But don’t want to pay. Nothing is done for free.

Life insurance disappears after the term is over or if premiums aren’t paid. The US government isn’t going to magically get back an expired policy.

Sorry for your situation and hope you things turn out for the best.
I have a paid up , paid off , life insurance policy
Which I am trying to access my acct. that I lost track of because my computer 💻 died
With all the info on it , and yea , I do not feel like going to Pp to the embassy
for a definite waste of time and energy. .
I see the government looks like they are upping all sorts of perks I never knew about
I have questions and am working on that now .
Then maybe , if I have any DNA proof or anything off my body or before
Maybe it would be easier for the young motherless kid to do this on his own after i die
Same times he finds out I left him a surprise of who knows what I can get for him
( it’s all listed here .. https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/36e93d0 ]

topic57442.html

If that’s what is meant to be 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
I haven’t given up and I also hope , and think about it ..
I tried a lawyer here one time , paid $20,000 and wasn’t satisfied at all ..
they didn’t do what I paid for .
I would never expect anything after I dead !
NGO’s aren’t in business to do any job I would be expected to pay for .
They don’t even know any case like mine to reference , so now I’ve asked 2
I guess. I will follow up and contact to the other four passed on to me .
Not gung-ho about the possibilities . Of them helping me ,
Their business is soliciting donations ..
I’d be very surprised to find an NGO which will agree to help.
Your situation is not standard, put bluntly, why should they help if you aren’t willing to help yourself.
NGOs have mission statements, goals, objectives etc. they are (generally) in place to help people who cannot access assistance, not for people who can’t be bothered to follow clearly set out procedures.
It might depend on what the NGO is being asked to do, as far as helping him out goes.

If they're being asked to recommend a way for him to find someone to look after his son after the father dies, maybe that's something they could help with. It seems like something that might at least be in their area of expertise and contacts.

If they're being asked to sort out all his son's birth certificate, and get all his papers in order so he can be registered as a US citizen/get a passport - it's hard to make sense of all this but it sounds like that's what he's asking of them - then of course they'll tell him there's nothing they can do for him. It would be like asking a dentist to fix your car.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:54 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:45 pm I am confused. You don’t want to spend money on NGOs, lawyers, or others to make your inheritance secure (as possible in Cambodia).

Yet you want an agent (or better an expat) to magically do all this work for free? You have a messy situation requiring lots of work. But don’t want to pay. Nothing is done for free.

Life insurance disappears after the term is over or if premiums aren’t paid. The US government isn’t going to magically get back an expired policy.

Sorry for your situation and hope you things turn out for the best.
I have a paid up , paid off , life insurance policy
Which I am trying to access my acct. that I lost track of because my computer 💻 died
With all the info on it , and yea , I do not feel like going to Pp to the embassy
for a definite waste of time and energy. .
I see the government looks like they are upping all sorts of perks I never knew about
I have questions and am working on that now .
Then maybe , if I have any DNA proof or anything off my body or before
Maybe it would be easier for the young motherless kid to do this on his own after i die
Same times he finds out I left him a surprise of who knows what I can get for him
( it’s all listed here .. https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/36e93d0 ]

topic57442.html

If that’s what is meant to be 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
I haven’t given up and I also hope , and think about it ..
I tried a lawyer here one time , paid $20,000 and wasn’t satisfied at all ..
they didn’t do what I paid for .
I would never expect anything after I dead !
NGO’s aren’t in business to do any job I would be expected to pay for .
They don’t even know any case like mine to reference , so now I’ve asked 2
I guess. I will follow up and contact to the other four passed on to me .
Not gung-ho about the possibilities . Of them helping me ,
Their business is soliciting donations ..
Seems to me you have several steps to get through, to get your boy squared away.

1. Get his birth registered properly, and a birth certificate for him. If you don't do that you can't complete the forms to get him his US citizenship.
2. Get him his US citizenship. Should be no problem once you get his birth registration done.
3. Get a will, or trust, or whatever set up so whatever money you have passes to him.
4. Find someone to look after him until he's old enough to look after himself.

My advice (you're free to take it or just call me an arsehole and disregard it) is to focus on getting step 1 done first and forget about the other stuff for now.
You said his birth registration was a convoluted mess with different names and things being used. I feel like it won't be the first time that's happened and it can probably be fixed, most likely by explaining the situation to whatever official handles that, and slipping them a little extra for their time and help.
This is where a competent assistant, who knows how to get things like this done would be worth spending a bit of money on. It's not something an NGO is likely to be able to help you with.

Forget about DNA. It's not how the system works, even if it would make your life easier, and if you're relying on that as a solution your son will wake up one day to a dead father, no idea what to do, who to turn to or even how to pay the rent, and some vague instructions about taking your toothbrush to the US government to show them your DNA and get given some money and a US passport.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

OMG , i said it all before , everything is fine and worked out as far as the cambodian papers / passport etc
It’s the american documents that are a pain because they want originals that don’t exist ,
The only thing I asked NGOs is how can I make sure he gets what’s rightfully his from me @ABA or is there another
bank I should use .
And someone to physically take paperwork into Pp to show and explain this is all we got to go on
Not originals but fixed and corrected documents with the real reality
I’m doing all I can , https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ers/birth/

I really am hoping to do it all before I die but you never know .
My own thread woukd be nice like the new kid has , but I’m not whining .
Im explaining the stringentcy of the embassy . About it .
It’s my problem I have to get done , I’m not asking the NGOs for any help
Just options . I hate to piss anybody off ..
it’s a dilemma
:BangHead:
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Alright. Well, good luck with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic