Power of attorney letter ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hmph
Expatriate

Re: Power of attorney letter ?

Post by hmph »

Might be worth speaking to your Canadian embassy here in Phnom Penh. Perhaps they can recommend a power of attorney and also stamp it to make it official.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jlucas wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:33 pm
Roryborealis wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 pm
Jlucas wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 pm
Roryborealis wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:34 pm
Jlucas wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:06 pm

I'm trying to submit on behalf of my mother her survivor pension application to Canada, they are requesting I include a power of attorney authorizing me so that I may complete the application for her

Perhaps I'm confused ? 😕
So you are Canadian, submitting a Canadian application to Canadian authorities about her Canadian pension. Wouldn't they want to see a Canadian POA? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding the facts so far, but the only Cambodian aspect of this appears to be your physical location). All I'm saying is the POA, the designation of signatory authority, would need to be valid for the Canadian purposes and jurisdiction you need it for. Ideally you'd want a firm familiar with Canadian law (or at least with what sufficiently constitutes a valid POA for that Canadian pension agency's purposes). Are you sure the agency itself doesn't have some standardized form for that?
My stepmother is khmer , father was canadian , sorry for my ignorance I'm trying to navigate this without much help , I'm only 38 so this is fairly unknown paper work for myself

My mother isn't able to come to Canada to get the paperwork done so I'm stuck inbetween trying to get something drafted here for her where we can sign it together ... and then mail off the application

The canadian pension program isn't very detailed in what I need to do ... iv spoken to them and they seem oblivious to cambodia and the difficulty obtaining paper work here , they simply said - include a power of attorney if I'm to fill out the application for her
I see. Perhaps the general procuration document that Spigzy mentioned above might suffice. It sounds like the agency just wants to make sure you have express legal authority to sign on her behalf, so that they can process the application.

If you end up drafting a POA letter, you might consider including an express statement that the delegation of authority is specifically (i.e., narrowly) for this particular purpose/application (as opposed to overly broad language regarding scope of authority).
Any suggestion where or who might be able to do this ?
"Step Mother" & "Mother"? I am assuming this is a typo? Keep it tight or it gets confusing.

Can we just be clear: Your Canadian father formally and officially married a Cambodian women (your step-mother) and has subsequently died. His Canadian pension(s) (or part thereof) is now payable to any surviving wife, namely his Cambodian widow who lives in Cambodia. You are now in Cambodia and trying to help her make that claim. Is that all correct? If so...

Is your stepmother of sound mind? Can she read and write English? If so, why does she need a POA to fill out a claim form?

If she is of sound mind but cannot read or write English, there is nothing to stop you from filling out the form on her behalf but she signs the form. It's her claim, not yours. It's her entitlement and you are just assisting her. (This happens in every country with social security systems and immigrants who cannot read or write English - they get support). As long as she is of sound mind and can understand the contents of the form, there is nothing wrong with that. (They won't actually know who filled in the form anyway!)

I would also add a letter from you stating who you are, confirming that you know the contents of the form are true and support the claim. This might add credence to the claim and give the authorities a Canadian citizen to pin this on if it turns out to be a fraudulent claim. This might be the reason why the like someone to have a POA?

Fill out the form and attach all the necessary supporting documentation, marriage certs; death certs; ID's etc and make the application. These types of claims will rest on the supporting documents, so make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

Any claim eventually granted will be backdated to when it was payable so don't worry that this might take time, just get your head down and get that application off. Good luck.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 am

So you are Canadian, submitting a Canadian application to Canadian authorities about her Canadian pension. Wouldn't they want to see a Canadian POA? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding the facts so far, but the only Cambodian aspect of this appears to be your physical location). All I'm saying is the POA, the designation of signatory authority, would need to be valid for the Canadian purposes and jurisdiction you need it for. Ideally you'd want a firm familiar with Canadian law (or at least with what sufficiently constitutes a valid POA for that Canadian pension agency's purposes). Are you sure the agency itself doesn't have some standardized form for that?
My stepmother is khmer , father was canadian , sorry for my ignorance I'm trying to navigate this without much help , I'm only 38 so this is fairly unknown paper work for myself

My mother isn't able to come to Canada to get the paperwork done so I'm stuck inbetween trying to get something drafted here for her where we can sign it together ... and then mail off the application

The canadian pension program isn't very detailed in what I need to do ... iv spoken to them and they seem oblivious to cambodia and the difficulty obtaining paper work here , they simply said - include a power of attorney if I'm to fill out the application for her
I see. Perhaps the general procuration document that Spigzy mentioned above might suffice. It sounds like the agency just wants to make sure you have express legal authority to sign on her behalf, so that they can process the application.

If you end up drafting a POA letter, you might consider including an express statement that the delegation of authority is specifically (i.e., narrowly) for this particular purpose/application (as opposed to overly broad language regarding scope of authority).
"Step Mother" & "Mother"? I am assuming this is a typo? Keep it tight or it gets confusing.

Can we just be clear: Your Canadian father formally and officially married a Cambodian women (your step-mother) and has subsequently died. His Canadian pension(s) (or part thereof) is now payable to any surviving wife, namely his Cambodian widow who lives in Cambodia. You are now in Cambodia and trying to help her make that claim. Is that all correct? If so...

Is your stepmother of sound mind? Can she read and write English? If so, why does she need a POA to fill out a claim form?

If she is of sound mind but cannot read or write English, there is nothing to stop you from filling out the form on her behalf but she signs the form. It's her claim, not yours. It's her entitlement and you are just assisting her. (This happens in every country with social security systems and immigrants who cannot read or write English - they get support). As long as she is of sound mind and can understand the contents of the form, there is nothing wrong with that. (They won't actually know who filled in the form anyway!)

I would also add a letter from you stating who you are, confirming that you know the contents of the form are true and support the claim. This might add credence to the claim and give the authorities a Canadian citizen to pin this on if it turns out to be a fraudulent claim. This might be the reason why the like someone to have a POA?

Fill out the form and attach all the necessary supporting documentation, marriage certs; death certs; ID's etc and make the application. These types of claims will rest on the supporting documents, so make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

Any claim eventually granted will be backdated to when it was payable so don't worry that this might take time, just get your head down and get that application off. Good luck.
Great point about does she have the capacity to execute a POA in the first place (and why a POA is needed if she can just sign the application herself).
And also whether she needs a translation or not.
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

"Can we just be clear: Your Canadian father formally and officially married a Cambodian women (your step-mother) and has subsequently died. His Canadian pension(s) (or part thereof) is now payable to any surviving wife, namely his Cambodian widow who lives in Cambodia. You are now in Cambodia and trying to help her make that claim. Is that all correct? If so.."

This is exactly correct ,
And she is my stepmother sorry for the confusion

She is sound mind but can't read or write English OR khmer , after the khmer rouge she never learnt I guess ? (iv never really gotten into it with her )
Her English skills are basic and we communicate with a mix of Khmer and English

I appreciate your feedback,
I'll help her complete the form and send it off
perhaps iv put too much thought into the POA for fear they deny her and the financial stress falls upon me ,

I really sincerely appreciate the advice 🙏
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

hmph wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:32 am Might be worth speaking to your Canadian embassy here in Phnom Penh. Perhaps they can recommend a power of attorney and also stamp it to make it official.
I tried to make an appointment at the embassy and was refused due to the pension program having its own process , I was directed to call the pension program in canada and denied a appointment with the embassy ,

After calling the pension program I was directed to the "instruction package on how to complete "

I was told by the embassy representative they don't allow walk-ins and the online appointment system wasn't very forgiving, I sorta gave up there after that 😞
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jlucas wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am
hmph wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:32 am Might be worth speaking to your Canadian embassy here in Phnom Penh. Perhaps they can recommend a power of attorney and also stamp it to make it official.
I tried to make an appointment at the embassy and was refused due to the pension program having its own process , I was directed to call the pension program in canada and denied a appointment with the embassy ,

After calling the pension program I was directed to the "instruction package on how to complete "

I was told by the embassy representative they don't allow walk-ins and the online appointment system wasn't very forgiving, I sorta gave up there after that 😞
Generally, embassies are for the promotion of their respective governments political and commercial agendas, they are not there to help their citizens in need. Unless you are dead, and even then their usefulness is limited.

The Canadians share a building with the UK and it is a fucking fortress. I have no idea what they are up to in there, but it is not for benefit of expats. Their motto is: You left the country. You stopped paying taxes. You can fuck off.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jlucas wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:30 am

"Can we just be clear: Your Canadian father formally and officially married a Cambodian women (your step-mother) and has subsequently died. His Canadian pension(s) (or part thereof) is now payable to any surviving wife, namely his Cambodian widow who lives in Cambodia. You are now in Cambodia and trying to help her make that claim. Is that all correct? If so.."

This is exactly correct ,
And she is my stepmother sorry for the confusion

She is sound mind but can't read or write English OR khmer , after the khmer rouge she never learnt I guess ? (iv never really gotten into it with her )
Her English skills are basic and we communicate with a mix of Khmer and English

I appreciate your feedback,
I'll help her complete the form and send it off
perhaps iv put too much thought into the POA for fear they deny her and the financial stress falls upon me ,

I really sincerely appreciate the advice 🙏
You're welcome.

If she is entitled, she is entitled. Your job is to find out for sure that she is, and then prove it. They may drag their feet and ask for endless paperwork, but that's normal for any government department that is there to pay money OUT. You just act as her next of kin and her representative. If they want a letter of authority from her, draft one up and get her to sign it.

You need to do your homework to be sure that she is entitled. I wouldn't normally suggest social media, but I learned a lot of very useful information on Reddit when I applied for Irish citizenship and then a passport. There is a wealth of information on there, you just have to sift it from the crap. A quick search threw up this:

plus

I bet you could find out lots of info about how long they take to approve a claim and tactics the employ to deny a claim, timescales etc.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Jlucas wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am I tried to make an appointment at the embassy and was refused due to the pension program having its own process , I was directed to call the pension program in canada and denied a appointment with the embassy ,

Sounds like a nightmare. I use this Internet telephony app called Rebtel. They have low fees for international calls, and they have a feature where they just automatically top up your credit when you run out so you don't get disconnected when the credit is depleted.

It's saved me a few times whenever I had to deal with situations like this.

Like the other poster mentioned, this seems to be more of a general issue not related to Cambodia. So you might want to reach out to other forums and companies that specialize with cases like this.

Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic