transiting times for international flights

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: transiting times for international flights

Post by newkidontheblock »

BklynBoy wrote:Eva air is more expensive it seems. I guess it will be what it will be. Depends what is more of a priority for the individual
Right now time is much more important than cost for me. I don’t have much time to spend in Cambodia, and the need to be ready to go arrival and return to work.

After I retire, it won’t matter how long it takes to takes to get there, nor how long it takes to recover from the flight.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:46 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:19 am I did the Singapore 50 minutes and made it. On the Korean air if you look at the flight leaving Korea to Cambodia it frequently leaves late. Been keeping an eye on it for the same reason, predicting probability of missing it with my wife taking that route on her own this summer. If missed you’d want to sleep in the transit hotel in same terminal as the flight, but you should make it.

The thing that sucks with the flight from Korea, the next one is a day away. That said you should make it.
Curious-- were you aware of the 50 minute layover before purchasing ticket? somehow i missed that info. I missed the 50 minute layover once and was like no way. never again-- Singapore has an option for a 5 hour layover and would rather take that. I remember asking the Flight attendant about letting me off ahead etc..no dice..nothing COngrats you made that tho.
. I wouldnt want to take that option if not needed.

Thanks for info regarding Korean Air and leaving late. That would suck 1 flight per day and would have to sleep in transit hotel. It is what it is and happy to hear your experience. 1 hour and 20 minutes is much better then 50 minutes. Especially when transiting from an international flight. So many variables to delay.

Qatar has a 5 hour layover and a little more expensive but maybe worth it. Depends what you value regarding time etc
Oh yeah, I knew about it and booked with the 50 minutes. I spoke to someone about it from the airline as well.

Some reading
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapo ... -time.html

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questi ... izen-trave

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... apore.html
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

In my experience, I didn't make it. Maybe doesn't happen as often as I thought. From reading your links-- people seem to be making the 50 minute layover. I noticed some people were sharing their experiences from Europe. Mine is from the U.S.- Unsure if that makes a difference but thanks again for sharing
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Korean Air sent an email, flight schedule changed to have 50 minutes layover. Since it’s frequently late we’re just switching to Eva or Singapore with 2-3 hours layover.

Korean Air offered free refund because of the change. We accepted
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:51 pm Korean Air sent an email, flight schedule changed to have 50 minutes layover. Since it’s frequently late we’re just switching to Eva or Singapore with 2-3 hours layover.

One key question is when is the next flight they would put you on if you miss the 50 minute connection. If it's a couple hours later, no problem.

If it's the next day, that's a problem.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:51 pm Korean Air sent an email, flight schedule changed to have 50 minutes layover. Since it’s frequently late we’re just switching to Eva or Singapore with 2-3 hours layover.

Thanks for update. 50 minute layover for an international flight is crazy but you said you have made it before. I am still monitoring and assume will purchase by April. I noticed Qatar had a 5 hour layover and also 1 other stop but no need to get off plane --

Where is your wife flying out from?

SIngapore seems super expensive now for the summer travel dates. I think was like $2,400 or something
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:59 am Airports have MCT (minimum connection times), and airlines won't sell tickets that don't meet the MCT, but at least your connection is protected

Obviously there are many shoddy 3rd party agents who will however, including the ones that cobble single tickets together with unprotected connections

Dubai & Doha are well known for having short MCT's, and there is a city in Europe (think its Vienna off the top of my head), which also has a very short MCT

I've transited through Dubai with Emirates many times on short connections, only once came close to missing the flight, but Emirates delayed the departing flight to allow passengers to connect, as they often do

The shorter the connection, the more chance there is of missing the next flight of course if there are any delays, which is why I now book slightly longer transits through Dubai
I made the mistake of using one of those shoddy services in 2022. It was fine on the way from PP to Bangkok and then London Heathrow and on to Dublin. Except they lost my luggage somewhere. I got it back a few days later. Dublin Airport was a shambles just post COVID.

On the way back a couple of weeks later it was a disaster. Aer Lingus flight was late, missed LHR connection. Got put up in a hotel, flown back to Dublin the next morning. Took over a week of phone calls to almost uncontactable Trip.com and visits to airport before we finally flew back to LHR. Again the Aer Lingus flight was delayed and missed connection. Put up in a hotel again, arranged the replacement flight the next morning. Went into London for the first time in 20 years and met a few old friends. That was okay. Luggage got lost again but BKK were very helpful so got it delivered in Phnom Penh next day. The other part was that they couldn't organise the BKK to PNH so had to buy that separately.

Last year I did the same trip but made sure it was all through Qatar Airways, and all went smoothly.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:49 pm

Thanks for update. 50 minute layover for an international flight is crazy but you said you have made it before. I am still monitoring and assume will purchase by April. I noticed Qatar had a 5 hour layover and also 1 other stop but no need to get off plane --

Where is your wife flying out from?

SIngapore seems super expensive now for the summer travel dates. I think was like $2,400 or something
Leaving from JFK, bought EVA air. $2,170

Korean has about $1.7k for same days with the 50 minutes layover.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:52 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:59 am Airports have MCT (minimum connection times), and airlines won't sell tickets that don't meet the MCT, but at least your connection is protected

Obviously there are many shoddy 3rd party agents who will however, including the ones that cobble single tickets together with unprotected connections

Dubai & Doha are well known for having short MCT's, and there is a city in Europe (think its Vienna off the top of my head), which also has a very short MCT

I've transited through Dubai with Emirates many times on short connections, only once came close to missing the flight, but Emirates delayed the departing flight to allow passengers to connect, as they often do

The shorter the connection, the more chance there is of missing the next flight of course if there are any delays, which is why I now book slightly longer transits through Dubai
I made the mistake of using one of those shoddy services in 2022. It was fine on the way from PP to Bangkok and then London Heathrow and on to Dublin. Except they lost my luggage somewhere. I got it back a few days later. Dublin Airport was a shambles just post COVID.

On the way back a couple of weeks later it was a disaster. Aer Lingus flight was late, missed LHR connection. Got put up in a hotel, flown back to Dublin the next morning. Took over a week of phone calls to almost uncontactable Trip.com and visits to airport before we finally flew back to LHR. Again the Aer Lingus flight was delayed and missed connection. Put up in a hotel again, arranged the replacement flight the next morning. Went into London for the first time in 20 years and met a few old friends. That was okay. Luggage got lost again but BKK were very helpful so got it delivered in Phnom Penh next day. The other part was that they couldn't organise the BKK to PNH so had to buy that separately.

Last year I did the same trip but made sure it was all through Qatar Airways, and all went smoothly.
A trip to remember, what an ordeal. :roll:
Boredom is like a shroud
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, and I was travelling with my at the time 14 year old son. He was cooler about it than I was most of the time.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic