Police check for immigration purposes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Police check for immigration purposes

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm When applying for my current job I had to complete a full independent background check through a company called Accurate Background. The whole thing took less than 10 days and they somehow got a Cambodian police report confirming that I've never been arrested or charged with anything here. Due to US laws (my employer is based in San Francisco) they had to share the results of their background check with me.

From reading people's accounts here, I'm wondering if getting a background check on yourself by this company might be an easier and quicker solution. I didn't have to go anywhere to make it happen, I just had to digitally sign the consent forms for Accurate Background and they did the rest.
Useful thread. I had the same question on my mind this morning.

I think Accurate Background seems the painless route that I will take rather than traipse back through 12 different Sangats around the country that we've lived in!
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Been living 100 meters from Central Market (the biggest yellow building in Phnom Penh built iin the 1930s)
The Sanghat/Cops have been ringing my doorbell every 3 months....Either showing me the same forms in Cambodian and asking for copies of my passport and a photo..... Or just asking for a 4 by 6 photo....In twelve year at various locations I have gone through this about 15 times at least...In 20 years living in Thailand it never happened once...
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Would you believe they were at my place again...A month after their last visit... Photo and copy of the passport again... This must be 6 or 7 times in 16 months...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Patcan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:29 pm Would you believe they were at my place again...A month after their last visit... Photo and copy of the passport again... This must be 6 or 7 times in 16 months...
They sure seem to like you. Did you offer them coffee or a "tip" or something?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Patcan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:29 pm Would you believe they were at my place again...A month after their last visit... Photo and copy of the passport again... This must be 6 or 7 times in 16 months...
Sounds strange, must be all those tats you have or something. I've been here nearly 20 years and not once have been asked to show my passport or ID.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

At my home again for the photo, passport and visa copy... The new year I guess
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Patcan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:47 pm At my home again for the photo, passport and visa copy... The new year I guess
Weird. What type of visa have you been extending for all those years, and how many months everytime ? I extend my EB visa each year for 12 months and they have checked visa + work permit with regularity once a year (they don't come at home as i don't live in town but they ask me to go to the district police office).
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Patcan wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:47 pm At my home again for the photo, passport and visa copy... The new year I guess
I had a first and only visit from immigration a couple of years ago. I'd tried explaining the FPCS to the landlady's son previously. He called me a few months later and said immigration wanted to visit. On Saturday morning. No problem but they didn't turn up. The next morning I was going to the boonies with a couple of friends. I went across and down the street to get a coffee before the friends arrived. As I cross the street towards my door I notice one has arrived. Then I noticed some cops almost chasing me.

There were fucking five of them. A couple in epaulettes and stiff hats, a couple lower ranking and then one armed guy in a bottle green uniform to guard outside! I told my friend she may as well wait outside. So they came inside and asked a few questions and checked my passport/visa etc. I offered my work permit but they weren't interested as it's a different department.

They seemed annoyed asking how come I'd lived there for about a decade and they didn't know. I showed the FPCS app on my phone but the officer said it was not for tenants and I might as well delete it. I was quite bored of this and went on the balcony for a few smokes. They asked if my friend downstairs was my girlfriend. She's a 60+ barang and lovely but not my type so I laughed at that.

The best part was when they were leaving one of them asked if I could "get them a coffee" or something. I opened my wallet in front of them and pulled the only notes in there out. Two miserable crumpled 10,000 Riel notes. I think they felt sorry for me and refused to take it! Comical.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

barang_TK wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:53 pm
Weird. What type of visa have you been extending for all those years, and how many months everytime ? I extend my EB visa each year for 12 months and they have checked visa + work permit with regularity once a year (they don't come at home as i don't live in town but they ask me to go to the district police office).
ER visa.... 1 Year visa since 2015 or so except once when I had to get a new passport.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Only ever been asked for my passport and visa twice.

Once when we went to my wife's village (there were about 10 cops there) not been bothered since (the village chief, family friend now, always talks to me in French and I tell him I am English. Every single time I am there! I can speak French but only to natives.)
Second time was recently when I had an accident (someone drove into me) and all hell kicked off (kid who hit me was the the attending cops (lieutenant colonels) cousin!)

Not bad in 9 years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic